Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to accomodate for light and power switches with VJ panelling?

GingerNinja
Cultivating a Following

How to accomodate for light and power switches with VJ panelling?

So after plenty of posts getting tips a few things will happen this long weekend.

First is our single VJ wall. It's going over the existing wall in a new room. Will remove the skirting and go from there.

My question is that I have 4 switches - 2 light switches, 2 powerpoints. Power will be isolated in the house while I work on the wall so that I can remove the cover plates.

So you guys suggest I unscrew the plate from the C Clip, cut a small hole in the JV that will allow it to slide through, and then mount like that? I really cannot afford a $200+ visit from my sparky again to remove them entirely. 

Clearly I wont be actually relocating the points on the wall or mucking with them, purely removing the font plate so that I can slide them diagonally through the hole in the panelling to remount.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: VJ Panelling this weeked

Hi @GingerNinja

I suggest leaving the covers on until it's time to install the panel on the wall that way nothing will be exposed while you work. I recommend taking all safety precautions when working with the power points. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to create a VJ feature wall

Let me tag our experienced members @MikeTNZ and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @GingerNinja ,  it would be unwise for anyone on the Workshop to recommend that you do your own electrical work, given that any error could be lethal.

If you are going to do it yourself, then at least buy a contact free mains tester such as 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-ac-voltage-tester_p4420348

before proceeding. This will ensure that you have turned off the correct feed without having to actuallytouch anything. (Try it to see how it works before using.) Using the usual method of plugging in an appliance to see of its dead or not can be a trap if the mains has been wired incorrectly. It wouldn't be the first time that someone got zapped by that.  

GingerNinja
Cultivating a Following

Hi @TedBear the whole house mains will be turned off at the switchboard until complete as I thought that would be the safest and I also have one of these at home to double check. 

Great to hear that the safety aspects will be attended to.

The next issue will be that the wiring may not be long enough to allow the switches to come out through the new hole in order to be positioned on the panelling.

There isn't a lot of room in the mounting boxes to allow for extra wire. Let's hope that there is enough spare within the wall space to pull it through.

The hole will have to be (as I think you are imagining already) wide enough for the shortest edge to pass through, then be twisted into place.

I would make the holes as close as you dare to the switch's size, whilst allowing enough for the switch to still cover the hole and be held securely.

The larger hole will allow you to slide the switch through the panelling without having to pull it out too far.

Of course if you find that you have plenty of spare wire length, then you can use a smaller hole since you can then pull the switch right out before turning into position.    (If that doesn't make sense, try making a cardboard replica to see how you need to need to pull the whole switch out if the hole is small.)

GingerNinja
Cultivating a Following

Legend. Super helpful thank you

GingerNinja
Cultivating a Following

IMG_20220415_090216_479.jpg

IMG_20220415_124457_182.jpg

IMG_20220415_124504_861.jpg

IMG_20220415_140045_093.jpg

IMG_20220415_191430_263.jpg

not paint but it all worked out well :smile:  thanks Eric. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GingerNinja

Thank you so much for posting those assembly photos. Even if you haven't painted it yet, the Easycraft panels have already made a huge difference in your room. I'm glad you didn't have a difficult time with the power points. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to the big reveal!

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @GingerNinja,

Just be aware that them non-contact type testers can be hit and miss, however, even with your mains switch turned off, there will still

be power at the tails that feed the energy metering, so you will still be able to confirm that the tester is reading correctly.

Now, I don't want to frighten anyone, but there have been some rare instances where (for whatever reason) the main switch does not open it's contacts when it is turned off.

Like I said, this is rare, but it pays to be aware of this.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to accomodate for light and power switches with VJ panelling?

Hi @GingerNinja,

While I don't want to come across as an electrician that thinks people shouldn't be doing their own electrical work.

The only issue I have with people doing their own work, is this:

When I install, relocate or repair anything in a given electrical installation, I'm required to perform certain testing on the work I've done,

this uses test equipment that most homeowners don't own.

I am also required to certify the work I've done and tested on a legally binding document (Certificate of Compliance), for insurance purposes for the owner of the property.

If something should go wrong and the work has not been tested and certified, before it was re-livened that can void your insurance cover

and insurance companies these days will find any way they can to get out of paying out, should there be issues in this respect.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects