Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach boards and battens to brick wall?

sophiek77
Getting Established

How to attach boards and battens to brick wall?

Planning to do a simple board and batten wall feature but have brick walls. Other than liquid nails, are there other alternatives? Standard bedroom and only want to install on two walls. Will use MDF for the panels. Thanks! 

DA73AAE4-E708-4C07-BB2B-0F19C27AFE94.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Board and batten on brick wall

Hello @sophiek77

Thank you for sharing your question about mounting a board to your brick wall. I suggest using Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 20 Pack in combination with Zenith 10 - 8 x 65mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws - 50 Pack. If you're planning on putting on a large panel first it will be easy to mount the smaller battens to the panel itself. I recommend measuring the board first and marking the positions where you wish to anchor the board to the brick wall. I propose drilling pilot holes in the brick wall and your board to make sure everything lines up.

Once the holes have been pre-drilled, place the universal anchors in the wall and place the board into position and screw it into place. If you're wondering why use the galvanized screws? These screws have a special coating on them that protects them from the elements, it also means that should you paint over the screw heads it won't rust. I've placed a diagram below to show you how you could possibly put it together.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sophiek77
Getting Established

Thanks Eric. Want to save on costs so prefer to only attach slats to the wall rather than purchase large boards.  But I see how I could liquid nail to the large board instead of directly to the drywall (less damage if removing in future).  Any other way to just install the slats? Would be a lot of masonry plugs/screws, filling holes before painting wouldn't it? Plus need to account for janky walls and potentially warped slats. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sophiek77

You read my mind! That's exactly the reason for putting the board on first. You can screw the slats onto the board, you don't have to use a lot of screws and plugs to mount the board on the wall. Just enough to prevent it from sagging and being pulled out. The board does not have to be super thick. I suggest using 2400 x 1200mm 16mm MDF Panel Standard, it's thick enough to cover any imperfections in the wall and it's very affordable.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects