Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a Murphy wall bed - horizontal

041461Tk
Finding My Feet

How to build a Murphy wall bed - horizontal

I like to build a Murphy wall bed- horizontal Queen size ; with proper spring loaded hinges 

and casings ! 

if Bunnings would sell me me one pair ….?! 
If not …. then , without .
Preferably with templates….! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Murphy wall bed with hinges

Hi @041461Tk

I believe it's time to weigh the pros and cons of the project. Buying the kit means that you won't have to guess how big the set will be. The kit has been tested to work with the hinges and is covered in a warranty. Should you need spare parts you can go back to the supplier. Plus you still get the pleasure of putting it together yourself. 

Buying just the hinges leaves a great deal of work ahead of you. You'll have to plan the holding frame and bed frame itself. An error in construction will mean that the bed will not fold properly. The materials used might be too heavy which will cause the bed to be too heavy to lift. The cost of the materials used could be almost the same as buying the kit, cancelling any savings you might have made. Plus sourcing the hinges itself is an effort, to begin with, and it does not come with any instructions.

When the time comes you can sell the cow and make some money back.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects