Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a free-standing pegboard room divider?

vng
Getting Established

How to build a free-standing pegboard room divider?

Hi ,

Looking for some inspiration and shopping list to DIY a free standing pegboard room divider ? I guess it'll look similar to an office desks partition

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a free-standing pegboard room divider?

Hi @vng,

A pegboard room divider sounds like a great project! Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon with some suggestions. We had a similar discussion about a how to install pegboard in a rental where Eric had them check out this discussion how to build freestanding walls for hanging pictures where he breaks down how to make the wall to apply a pegboard to. This could work great as a room divider.  Let me also tag members @lcooksey88 and @r23on who also have experience with pegboards to see if they have any advice. 

Looking forward to seeing how you go with your project. Please keep us updated with photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @vng,

Great project! Looking forward to seeing what you and the rest of the community can come up with. 

Just to add to Katie's response, you might also find this previous discussion helpful - How to make D.I.Y. room dividers? by @StuckAtHome.

Jason

vng
Getting Established

Hoping for something with as little to no sawing as possible 😁

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vng

I've drawn up a design below that has very minimal cutting. The final design of course will depend on how tall you want the pegboard to be. The pegboard frame is composed of one Porta 42 x 42mm 2.4m DAR Pine Standard & Better on either side of the 1220 x 915mm 4.8mm Pegboard Masonite. The feet are made of Carinya 150 x 150 x 20 x 4mm Zinc Plated Angle Bracket - single.

The general steps are to have the pine timber cut in half at the store. Screw the pine timber to either side of the pegboard and the feet are then attached with screws at the bottom. If you want it taller you'll need to purchase two of the Porta timber and use the 1830 x 1220mm 4.8mm Pegboard Masonite Diagonal. You'll then need to ask the timber yard team member to cut the pine timber to 1830mm. The same assembly procedures apply to the taller pegboard.

If you wish to add a horizontal brace you'll need to get more timber and have the timber cut to the proper width between the two posts. I then suggest screwing the horizontal timber brace to the vertical posts. My only other tip is that if you feel you need larger brackets for the feet, please make sure that they are at least 4mm thick.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

vng
Getting Established

I was wondering if could also be done with a metal pegboard Pinnacle 1810 x 540mm Matte Black Metal Pegboard or would the weight be too much ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vng

The technique I recommended will also work on the Pinnacle 1810 x 540mm Matte Black Metal Pegboard. However, you'll need to use larger angle brackets not less than 200mm due to the extra weight of the metal pegboard.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects