Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build this entrance paneling?

AshleyDickey
Finding My Feet

How to build this entrance paneling?

Hello, 

Looking at doing a DIY project in my entrance way. Paneling similar to the picture below. 

close-up-of-entry-way.jpg

Any ideas on materials, tools and cost? I'd say maybe 2m long and 1.5-1.8m high? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build this entrance paneling?

Hi @AshleyDickey

Thanks for sharing your question about how to build entrance panelling. One of the best examples I've seen is an entry way organizer by @Sez. It's come up as a featured project so there are other examples of how you could build it. Taking your measurements into consideration it depends on where you want the timber panels and how much gap you want to put in between them.

Let's say for example that the wall is exactly 2000mm and the timber panels are 100mm wide and you want to duplicate that picture you've posted. That will be 2000mm less 600mm (six panels @100mm) which leaves you with 1400mm. It will then be divided into five spaces which will give you a gap of 280mm per board. I propose having your tape measure in front of you to give you a good idea of how big the gaps will be.

Your materials will depend on the type of timber you choose. Using pine panels will be a bit costly but it is pre-cut and can be stained. You can also use MDF but you'll need to cut them into panels. I suggest doing up a plan with pen and paper to give yourself an idea of how much timber you'll be using. There are a few choices for timber moulding and it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. 

I've placed a sample sketch below with some typical measurements. Please note that they are for reference only make sure to adjust them to your needs.

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for the information and sample sketch! I really appreciate the time you've put into this. 

I'm going to attempt it this weekend, one of my friends recommended using skirting? Is that also an option or pine/MDF recommended? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AshleyDickey

I recommend getting the same type and shape of skirting board at home. This will prevent contrasting finishes to your skirting board. Please make sure that it is the same thickness as the timber you'll be using for your entrance panelling.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to the start of your entrance panelling project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects