Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to divide existing wardrobe between 2 rooms?

diyhousefixes
Just Starting Out

How to divide existing wardrobe between 2 rooms?

Hi there, very new here but I was hoping to connect with some more experienced diy people to give some advice?

So I have a large 3 mirrored wardrobe in my main bedroom of the house, right next door is my daughters room which is very small and has no wardrobe. In order to solve this problem, I was thinking to share a portion of my wardrobe (1 mirrored section) as her room is right against mine (see photos). I will have to see if the beams are load bearing etc once I have all the plaster off but would anybody be able to give me any suggestions on how to do this between two rooms and section everything off once the beams have been examined and sorted...I just don't know how to do this once I have made it to the other side, being her room. I have tried to look at youtube videos on how to divide the wardrobe between two rooms but I haven't had any luck.

20220107_144834.jpg

20220107_144858.jpg

20220107_144935.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Divide existing wardrobe between 2 rooms, help!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @diyhousefixes. It's brilliant to have you join us and many thanks for your question about dividing an existing wardrobe.

The first thing to do will be to check if the wall is load-bearing. If it is, your project might need to be paused or substantial re-framing work done to allow it. Once you've worked that out, you'll need a door, a door jamb, some additional framework, a handle and hinges

You should find these step-by-step guides useful: How to install a door jamb and How to hang a door.

To divide the wardrobe's internal sections, you could install some 2400 x 1200mm 16mm MDF Panel Standard as a partition. Painting it white will finish it off. The helpful team members in-store can cut it to size for you.

I'd halt the internal demolition work for the moment and have the wall accessed by a qualified professional. Once you know it's not load-bearing, you can mark out the position of the door in your daughter's room. Ensure there are no wires/pipes in that location with a stud detector capable of finding metals and turn off any power in the house just to be sure. Drill through the wall at all four corners of where the door will go. Then, cut between those holes with a circular saw. You'll then be free to add the additional framework and follow the guides above.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects