Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Oak floating shelves that keep leaning?

KMS
Just Starting Out

How to fix Oak floating shelves that keep leaning?

Installed yesterday but they seem to lean down and things keep sliding off. Did I do something wrong. I really don't want to put a bracket underneath that defeats the purpose of buying these 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix Oak floating shelves that keep leaning?

Hi  @KMS 

Is that the flexi storage  shelving?

In any case take the shelve off again and  try make sure those scews especialy on the top egde are in nice and snug but not pulled though the wall.

Behind your shelving will be vertical studs if you could  find one and put a screw through the wall bracket into a solid stud at the top edge of the bracket then your shelf could  hold a decent weight around 10 kg or  a little more with out drooping.

There is an arrow on the wall bracket pointing up is your wall bracket on the right way up/ as the construction may pre counter some  estimated  droop

Message back  if  you need more help

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Oak Floating Shelves

Hello @KMS 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your floating shelves.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Sometimes the screw and anchoring system you use is not sufficient to hold the weight of the shelves. In an ideal situation it would be great if the shelving frame could be anchored to one of the studs in the wall.  

Can you please tell me what wall anchor you used on your shelving frame? I often suggest using the Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchor - 10 Pack when anchoring floating shelves. But even then, sometimes the plasterboard itself bends due to the weight applied to the surface.

I also suggest checking out the orientation of the shelf as it might have a preferred position when sliding it into the wall frame.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix Oak floating shelves that keep leaning?

How did you go with the advice shared @KMS? Please let us know if you need additional assistance. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects