Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix damaged door?

asava17
Growing in Experience

How to fix damaged door?

I changed the door knob but how do i cover up around it?I changed the door knob but how do i cover up around it?

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to fix damaged door?

Hi @asava17,

What's happened to that?

I suppose if you gently cleaned up the area around the doorknob with a small chisel to give your something to allow some wood filler in the gaps and fix up the broken trim, it might come up reasonably decently.

Just be aware to keep the wood filler away from the door handle mechanism as you push it into the void.

Sand it flat to the orginal surface of the door.

And then match the paint to the rest of the door.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Mike T.

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @asava17 looks like someone put a boot to that poor door, it's a primed/painted hollow MDF panel door (you can see the fibres when zoomed in), if you are absolutely determined to fix that door I'd remove the complete door handle assembly and place a rolled up piece of cardboard in the cavity (after a light sand and clean up of the damaged area) then apply some builder's bog (like car filler) and shape and sand as necessary before priming & repainting then re-install the door handle, it will approve the aesthetics but remain weaker (or less secure) than a replacement door.

Honestly I wouldn't bother too much with that door as new ones start at around $60

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hume-doors-timber-520-x-2040-x-35mm-internal-door-primed-mdf-flush-h1_p2...

I note there is a keyed barrel installed, these doors are completely unsuitable for exterior fitment OR as a secure barrier for say a designated "safe room" due to their somewhat lightweight construction, should either of those be a consideration opt for something significantly more substantive and robust 👍

asava17
Growing in Experience

Thank you buddy. I got locked outside and had some important stuff in the office. Cue mental breakdown.....

Anyways I just demolished the old door knob (I was stressed) felt horrible. Went to bunnings bought a new door knob but wasn't sure how to fix around it. I've got filler around the house so I could try that to cover it up. Everytime I look at it, I feel so dissappoined lol

Yes getting locked out is a serious inconvenience, have you considered leaving a spare key somewhere else in the house (or in a wallet)?

I've had to break into my home more often than I would have liked, happens to to all eventually, good luck with the project 👍

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @asava17 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MikeTNZ and @DIYGnome. If this area needs to be secure, I'm leaning more towards replacing the door with a Hume Doors & Timber 820 x 2040 x 35mm Internal Door Primed MDF Flush H1

But if you wish to give repairing it a go, I propose following @DIYGnome's advice regarding the builder's bog. One other alternative that comes to mind is to seal the hole with timber and install a new set of locks on the door. I recommend putting in a Lane Satin Stainless Steel Single Cylinder Deadbolt in combination with an Ikonic Satin Chrome Digital Lever Entry Lock.

The deadbolt gives you permanent locked security, the best part is that you need the key to lock the deadbolt from the outside which means that you'll never accidently lock yourself out. The digital lock is perfect for when you need secure access but require the convenience of keyless entry.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects