Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hide a bed base?

Beebop123
Cultivating a Following

How to hide a bed base?

Hi there, we’ve been given this second hand bed base but would love to maybe update it in some way and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Initial thoughts were to put a bottom layer sheet over it but I think that could be quite old fashioned- I’ve also seen a beautiful DIY dowel bed head on this workshop so maybe could use that but any thoughts on changing the appearance of the base would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks (p.s in picture it’s the brown base at the bottom)

0024D7BA-8698-4758-A61F-A413450D76B3.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hiding a bed base

Hi @Beebop123,

I'm sure our members will have plenty of great ideas for you. You might like to set the bedhead up on the base and take another photo so everyone has a better idea of what you're working with and what solutions they might work.

I like the idea of incorporating half doweling and have put together a rendering below. You could create a really neat floating bed design by utilising 285 x 19mm Pine and cladding the whole base.

Let me mention some of our creative members, @prettyliving, @lifestylebymari, @craftyhopper, @Tara86, @Nham and @lieselroberts, to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Beebop123
Cultivating a Following

Oh that’s such a great idea thanks Mitchel!!! We’re you visualising  something like this picture? We were going to purchase a brand new bed base so to be able to up cycle this one would be great! And I’ll pop a photo of the bedhead tomorrow, thanks!!

F22BEB76-18B4-4FDF-A99C-A99A3CFEE593.jpeg

Precisely like that, @Beebop123! I really like that floating design.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lifestylebymari
Making a Splash

Re: How to hide a bed base?

Hello @Beebop123 this can be such a fun DIY. Some of the ideas already given are really good. I particularly like the half dowel timber they look good and are easy to apply. Something I have done in the past with an old bedhead was using pool noodles cut in half, glued them into the bed wood and finishing with a fabric over the top. 

hope some of this suggestions helped ☺️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects