Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Laminex Surround panelling in hallway?

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

How to install Laminex Surround panelling in hallway?

2ECDD0D3-A04C-452C-B554-D2AD4EE3BD5F.jpeg

I am wanting to line our hallway with Laminex Surround panelling, Demi Round 20, 900 high.

The question I have is do we install above the skirting board or remove the skirting board.

I am thinking that it would look neater between door frames if there were no skirting boards.

your advice will be appreciated 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laminex Surround in Hallway

Hello @Missskybird

Thanks for sharing your question about installing Laminex surround panelling. I'm placing my vote to install it with a skirting board. However, I suggest using a bigger or taller skirting board to get the full effect when installing surround panelling. Looking at previous installations, the only time it looks good without the skirting board is when you're doing a floor to ceiling installation. 

The skirting board puts a border around the panel giving it definition. It makes it very clear where the floor ends and the wall begins. Placing a taller skirting board means that the rest of the skirting boards must be replaced as well to maintain uniformity around the house.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving @craftyhopper and @redbournreno for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Missskybird
Building a Reputation

Thank you Eric. I’m happy to change the existing skirting boards.

What moulding would you suggest to dress the top of the panelling?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Missskybird

I suggest using the Porta 30 x 15mm 3.0m Moulding Tasmanian Oak Dado Short Rail Select or similar. I'm thinking along the lines of a modern colonial look but not overwhelming it with too many curves. I propose using 138 x 18mm 5.4m Moulding White Pine FJ Primed Aus Colonial. These two pieces should frame the Laminex panel very nicely.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

Thank you Eric.

Unfortunately we can’t use 18mm moulding as it would extend past the architrave. We have just installed 11mm skirting.

Any suggestions as to what moulding to use instead?

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric

Another question 😂

When I get to the end of a section of wall with no architrave (see photo), do I just finish it with a strip of beading to finish the edge?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Missskybird

If that's the condition for installation, I suggest instead using Porta 31 x 11mm 2.4m Moulding Pine Insert Mould Clear. It's the same size as your skirting and has a bit of style to it. When you get to the end, you have a choice of putting an 11mm plain standard moulding similar to your skirting board to create a picture frame look. I don't advise leaving it plain or open unless it's butting up against an end wall. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.  

Eric

Hi @Missskybird 

That looks like and exciting little project that could really ramp up the style of your house.  The thing to think about when selecting mouldings is the feel of the rest of your house and fixtures, and your furniture style. The laminex surround products are very textural and stylistic in their own right, so you don't want to compete with that using any other decorative mouldings at all. I would suggest the skirting and moulding is only used as a way to frame and mount the surround boards neatly.

Are you keeping the carpet?  Because that might impact your choice of skirting. The demi round  surround is 12mm thick, so that is your minimum but you may have to settle for 11mm, and your current architrave thickness is your maximum (usually 18mm but I see yours is 11mm).  Tall skirting is usually recommended, but it will detract from the surround style, so go for as low as practical with the carpet.  Squared off top is best for a flush fit with the surround, I can't tell what you already have there.  If it is squared off then just install the surround above it.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/31-x-11mm-5-4m-moulding-white-pine-fj-primed-dar_p0020885

On top of the surround pane you could have it squared off or a gentle curve like:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hume-11-x-11mm-2-7m-moulding-h3-pine-primed-quad-losp_p0020935

https://www.bunnings.com.au/porta-12-x-12mm-2-4m-dar-tasmanian-oak-select_p0080240

Best of luck

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you for the advice. It has given me food for thought.

As our house is 60+ years old I am wondering if perhaps the Laminex Batten 25 are more in keeping with its bones 😊

Also I am wanting to know the best way to approach joining the panels at wall corners. Should I Just add a strip of moulding?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install Laminex Surround panelling in hallway?

Hi @Missskybird,

You might like to cut the sheets to fit neatly together at the external corner. With some filler, the transition can be quite aesthetically pleasing. If you would like to add moulding to cover the join, you can do that later. I'd suggest keeping it simple with a 30 x 30mm external moulding.

I can't say I've seen battens used like that and don't necessarily think it would be keeping with the bones. I'd suggest you go with the style that you find most pleasing.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects