Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a curtain rod?

Louise11
Finding My Feet

How to install a curtain rod?

Hi there, looking to purchase the below  curtain rod but unsure what I’ll need to install it? In terms of tools and fixtures?  It states that the set includes rod, rings & brackets but I’m assuming the screws etc will need to be bought separately?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/windoware-210cm-x-33mm-teak-wooden-curtain-rod-set_p1283934

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a curtain rod?

Hello @Louise11

Thanks for sharing the model of the curtain rod you're putting up. The first thing we need to do is to get one of the timber rod brackets. You'll notice that the curtain rod bracket is either pre-drilled for screws or has a blind fixing at the back. You'll need to bring this to the store to measure what size of screw will fit.

If you are drilling into plasterboard with no timber support at the back, I suggest using the Syneco 58 Piece Hollow Wall Anchor Set. This has everything you need to mount the curtain rod bracket to your wall. However, if you're drilling into brick you'll need to use the STAHL Masonry Kit 8mm Drill With 50mm Blue Wall Plugs. The tools you'll need are a drill, tape measure, drill bit set, and a pencil. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your curtain rod installed. 

Here is a handy guide: How to install masonry fixings

Here is a video that shows you how to use the hollow wall anchors: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to install a curtain rod?

Hi Louse11,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop.

Generally around "most" windows, there will be studs to the sides of the window frames in the wall.

Also, depending on how wide the window is, there will be a number of "jack studs" above a timber

or even steel lintel.

If you "knock" on your wall above where you are going to install your curtain rail you will find a hollow sound or

a solid sound, the solid sound is where your timber is.

It is really hard to explain this, but I think you'll be fine.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects