Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint the side table?

nfds
Growing in Experience

How to paint the side table?

How do I  make "new"  the  bedroom side table .

Do I just retouch it up with some paint/varnish available from Bunnings. ?side table.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: how to paint the side table

Hi @nfds,

These videos and step-by-step guides are a great place to start:

Depending on the look you're going for, our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be able to suggest the best paint or varnish for your side table when he's back on the site on Friday.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nfds,

You could try to re-touch the damaged areas, but to get an even appearance, you'll likely need to sand the entire top and re-coat it. I'd suggest that 120 grit sandpaper and a sanding block will make relatively quick work of the sanding process. If you had an electric sander, that would be even better. Once you have sanded your top back to bare timber, you can coat it with interior stain and varnish. You'll need to do a test section to ensure the colour matches the base of the unit. You could always attempt to retouch the top first and if you are not satisfied with the results, complete the full sanding process.

If you are looking for a weekend project, you might like to sand the entire table. That way, you can choose any colour and finish you would like on it as the whole unit will be uniform.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

I have some brown stained timber furniture I'd like to paint white.  It is Ikea furniture with only a very light varnish (if any) finish. Is there any paint that doesn't require primer for this purpose?  Would I still need to sand it back to bare timber or can I paint over the top of it?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your question about your stained timber furniture @Just_Me.

Paint has issues binding to glossy or varnished surfaces. I recommend using Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White to prevent your paint from flaking and being easily scratched off. I suggest giving the furniture a light sand before applying the primer. Once it is totally dry you can then put your first coat of paint on it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects