Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracked top of antique cupboard?

AMC2089
Just Starting Out

How to repair cracked top of antique cupboard?

6BC9F133-6E74-4D3B-8D34-F1D0F9CD87FE.jpeg

9FA6B3C6-923D-48FA-9423-3141F4559856.jpeg

8C26E084-46AD-4D8D-A05C-6D477838EDC3.jpeg

I just got an antique cupboard from Facebook Marketplace & when I put a little bit of weight in the middle of the cupboard a crack appeared.
I was hoping for some advice on how to fix the crack & reinforce the top (from underneath) so it doesn’t crack again? 

B75D725A-9DCF-43C6-B904-E5F14D40DD67.jpeg

I am also planning on stripping it as the mint green isn’t my colour so if you have any advice for that as well it would be most appreciated. 

Thank you!! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Antique Cupboard Cracked Top

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AMC2089. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a cupboard.

Is that a crack or a join with the side panel? If you clamp the top, can you reduce the gap at all? If so, you could try squeezing some PVA glue into the gap and clamping it shut. It would be best to get the glue quite deep into the crack to be effective. I'd suggest picking up a syringe from a local pharmacy and watering down the PVA enough that you can inject it through the needle.

Some angle brackets placed within the cabinet which attach to the sidewall and the top should assist with preventing this movement in the future.

My first thought about your mint-coloured cabinet is could you paint over it? That would certainly be easier than trying to remove the existing paint. If that's not possible, I recommend sanding the coating off. You could do the sanding in combination with the paint stripper. However, that's typically pretty messy stuff, and I avoid it if it's at all possible. Bare in mind that you'll still need to sand the paint remnants off even if you use the stripper.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects