Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace these masonite panelled ceilings?

Katydid
Finding My Feet

How to replace these masonite panelled ceilings?

I have 2 ceilings in my weatherboard home that need replacing.The originals were covered with really ugly masonite panels and wood batons, probably in the 1970's. I would prefer not to have to pull them down and re- plaster etc as this is a big job. Could I put up pressed metal panels? Would really appreciate any advice or ideas anyone has for a solution. Ceilings are 16 and 12 square metres. Thanks.Living roomLiving roomBedroom, both have ugly chipboard centre panelBedroom, both have ugly chipboard centre panelA47FBB88-60B8-44B2-A639-26C93C24D520.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to replace these masonite panelled ceilings?

Hi @Katydid,

It's fantastic to see you sharing your first post on the Bunnings Workshop community after being with us for some time. We'd love to help.

Our resident D.I.Y. experts @MitchellMc and @EricL will be happy to assist when they're back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @Noyade and @TedBear for their thoughts.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Celing fix

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Katydid.

Sorry, it's taken a moment for me to get back to you. 

I can't see any reason you couldn't clad the existing ceiling with pressed metal. Depending on the size of sheets you go with, you might need to add additional batons as the existing ones could be spaced a little too far apart. You'll also need a baton under each join or the sheets so their edges can be glued down, giving a flawless transition. I'd recommend this Selleys 350g Heavy Duty Liquid Nails for fixing your sheets to the ceiling as it's extremely strong and adheres well to timber and metal.

Have you seen any pressed metal sheets that you are interested in? I'm keen to follow along with your project as it sounds like you'll have some fantastic results.

Please keep us updated and reach out if you have more questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, thanks for your post. I have found some pre primed pressed metal panels  at Schots which measure 200 cm x93 per panel. Have also contacted Australia pressed metal company in Lilydale.

Some suggestions have been to remove cover batons and attach panels with glue and a brad nail gun, putting nails in at an angle along the edges of the panels to line up with the batons underneath the Masonite.

I think we will have to push up a section of the Masonite and see what it is attached to. I guess the main issue is the best way to attach the pressed metal panels to the exisiting Masonite ceiling. If there are enough wooden batons or struts underneath the Masonite, then we should be OK. But we need to have some way nailing the middle of the panels up as well as the edges.

What do you think?, cheers 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I think your fixing method, as you've suggested, will come down to the roof's structure and how many timbers you find behind the Masonite @Katydid. It sounds like a bit of exploratory work will provide some answers. As long as the Masonite is secured sufficiently in the middle of the sheets, I'd imagine brad nails through the metal panels into the Masonite itself would be reasonably secure. You might not even need to hit the timbers behind. The glue will do most of the holding, and the brad nails are to hold the panel in position whilst the glue dries.

I presume these pressed metal panels are pretty light, and if they have a fairly intricate pattern, they should be quite rigid. If so, that would be beneficial when fixing them in place.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects