Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revamish or repair a damaged dining room table?

RachelKS
Just Starting Out

How to revamish or repair a damaged dining room table?

Good Morning,

My dining room table top is in need of some TLC. I have a number of surface marks and some areas are sticky. Can you please advise the best course of action?

76485BA7-5004-4203-85F6-6F64C5248CE9.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revamish or repair a damaged dining room table?

Hello @RachelKS

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to re-varnish your dining room table.

Re-varnishing your dining table is an excellent D.I.Y. project. It's a fantastic opportunity to give your table not only a new coat of paint but a new look as well. My number one tip before beginning is to consider where will you be sanding the table? The sanding process will create a lot of dust. If you don't want any of the dust in the house, I suggest doing it either in the garage or outside in a covered area. The table must be safe from rain and excessive sunshine while being renovated.

The next step to think about is where will the table be located while the varnish dries off? The wind carries a lot of dust and debris. If the varnish is still fresh, this dust will settle on your table and create an undesirable finish. You want your table to be smooth and blemish-free. 

The steps to re-varnishing your table are as follows. Sand the top of your table to remove the current varnish that's on it. I suggest using an Ozito ¼ Sheet Orbital Sander. This sander is so versatile as it can use velcro-backed pads and ordinary sandpaper. After sanding the top clean the top thoroughly with a brush. I recommend using a vacuum cleaner with the soft brush tool end to pick up any fine dust left on the table. Please make sure to use a dedicated brush such as a Monarch 75mm Woodcare Paint Brush to give you a superior finish on your table. 

Choosing a varnish and finish is a personal choice. I suggest visiting your local store and looking at the varnish samples on display. I recommend the Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. It's water-based for easy cleanup and is food-safe. 

Please keep us updated with your progress. Any updates you can provide while re-varnishing your table would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you get a good finish varnishing furniture?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to revamish or repair a damaged dining room table?

@RachelKS Your table is going to be beautiful when finished! Have you picked out a new color to stain it or will you keep it the light color?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects