Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal and protect laminate floorboards?

abs898
Getting Established

How to seal and protect laminate floorboards?

Hi Bunnings community

I am looking to seek some advice. I am moving into a new property which has laminate floorboard, after speaking to neighbours, they mentioned, it is of cheap quality and there have been complaints of chips, colour coming off and scratches.

I am wondering is there a way for me to coat it so it lows down the degradation process?

Is it safe to use something like this : https://www.bunnings.com.au/cabot-s-1l-satin-water-based-cfp-floor_p1520276271375379_482704626597632_70739266833040413_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sealing/ protective coating laminate floorboard

Hi @abs898,

It sounds like this might be a case of shoes off on entry, rugs in high traffic areas, carpet runners in walkways and chair leg protectors on all furniture.

Although you'll find results through Google that polyurethane is what you can use on a laminate floor, and the Cabot's 1L Satin Water Based CFP Floor is a polyurethane, it isn't designed to adhere to laminate, only timber.

I'll be happy to double-check with the Cabot's team tomorrow just to make sure, though.

I'm not aware of any coating product that would be suitable for additional protection on the laminate flooring. This is mainly due to the surface not being permeable, leaving nothing for the coating to bind onto.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
abs898
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc 

I would really appreciate if you could check with the manufacturer.

Hearing from other residents, the laminate is cracking and peeling off even in low contact zones and winder rugs as well.

Thanks again!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your patience, @abs898.

Unfortunately, the CFP floor is a no go as it's incompatible with your laminate flooring. However, I've found Cabots 1L Laminate Floor Restore for you, which looks to be an excellent alternative. Not only does it rejuvenate worn laminate floors, but it is a maintenance coating that protects from daily wear. In your case, you'd want to apply the additional coats as per instructions to increase the product's durability.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
abs898
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Much appreciated. I would apply the restore before moving in then :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects