Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to sound-proof window to stop sound leaving the room?

Oberon70
Finding My Feet

How to sound-proof window to stop sound leaving the room?

Hi Everyone,

I am building a new home.  The long-term plan is that the home will in time be an investment for my 21-year-old son who has Autism to ensure he has a place to live or the money to pay for private care. 

At this stage, I don't know which room would be his and the cost of double glazing windows for four bedrooms is not something I can invest in.  I have already invested in upgrading the insulation for the external walls and also having insulation installed in the internal walls.

My son tends to rock back and forth whilst humming.   His humming is very loud and the concern is this will disturb the neighbours due to how close the houses are. 

Are there any soundproofing inserts?

I know soundproofing curtains are an option.

Any suggestions? would be great. 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to sound-proof window to stop sound leaving the room?

Hi again @Oberon70 ,

I am not sure where people are getting their ideas about the costs of double glazing, but I paid a similar price to the quoted roller shutters but my costs also included 2 double windows in the mix and included costs of removing existing windows (which in a new build you wouldn't even have to pay. You should instead get a credit for the ordinary windows that you wouldn't be using). My message is to not assume that dble glazed windows are some exorbitant cost that is out of the reach of the ordinary person (which I am).  The benefits (heat & sound transfer and security) are worth considering. 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to sound-proof window to stop sound leaving the room?

I'm also not sure where people are getting their costs for double glazing, I've had friends get glass with double glazing at around $200 per m2 for their home. Adding the cost of a frame and installation still puts it well under roller shutters, especially if it's just for one room.

I'd consider double glazing the best option for sound, beating the Aussie summer heat and an added security measure. If you have the space outside, you can use plants and outdoor acoustic panels on the fence to also dampen the sound :smile: 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects