Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use sandpaper with a cork sanding block?

KathB26
Finding My Feet

How to use sandpaper with a cork sanding block?

Hi all, I am a complete novice with anything to do in my house. I am attempting to fix a sideboard, (well freshen up - a light sand and oil it). 
I have done my research and have fine sandpaper and a cork sanding block. But what I want to know, do I wrap the whole sanding sheet around the block or cut it up. I know this is very basic, but I know nothing 🙄, I have looked on YouTube but didn’t really find anything. Thanks 😊 D8E03D58-92F8-413A-9031-9F816BFEDE7F.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to use sandpaper with a cork sanding block?

Hello @KathB26

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to use sandpaper with a cork sanding block.

Way back in the past a woodworker realized that the hand was not actually a flat surface. It had bumps, curves, and uneven soft spots. This in turn translated through the sandpaper creating an uneven undulating finish on the surface of the wood. By using sandpaper backed with a flat surface to sand the surface of the wood you get a uniform finish. Thus the sanding block was born.

I recommend cutting the sandpaper in such a way that it goes over both the long sides of the sanding block, just enough for you to hold it with your fingers and thumb. There is no need to completely wrap the block in sandpaper unless you have a very small hand. Please remember to sand in the direction of the grain in a back and forth motion, never in a circular motion. Remember to tap the sanding block often to remove excess timber dust from the sandpaper.

However, if you decide to invest in a sanding tool, I suggest looking at an electric sander you'll be surprised at how quickly and how thorough it can sand a table.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the big reveal of the finished table.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

0D9BBA1F-E327-4FF2-A7C5-6050A9BF791A.jpegThank you so much EricL for taking the time to reply to my question. So sorry it has taken me so long to acknowledge your helpfulness. I had  recently moved house and was wanting to get my sideboard (which is a Chiswell piece and just over 50 yrs old and had been in storage for many years)  sorted so I could move stuff into it.  So have been busy unpacking and sorting.
Your instructions were easy to follow. I did my sanding and oiling. I was very happy how the sideboard came up. My family were very impressed?. I don’t think I am up to electric sanders just yet, but will keep it in mind for future projects. 
Thanks again for your help, Kathy.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

That looks amazing, well done Kathy (@KathB26). What a beautiful buffet. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @KathB26

What a beautifuly restored piece. Thank you so much for posting those updated photos. It looks like it just came from the shop all fresh and new.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects