Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to wall mount TV on steel studs?

soapit
Finding My Feet

How to wall mount TV on steel studs?

Hello,

im looking to wall mount a 43 inch tv on a steel frame wall looks like the tv will be just under 10kgs. 

Ive purchased this wall mount https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-full-motion-adjustable-wall-mount-32-75-tvs-b/

most online guides recommend some variety of toggle? But earlier bunnings recommendtion seems metal screws will be ok?

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/Wall-mounting-a-TV-on-Metal-stud/m-p/4624...

the bracket extends so i certainly dont mind going a bit over the top with the fixing so it doesnt break under the lever of it.

cheers

Al

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to wall mount TV on steel studs?

Hello @soapit

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about mounting your TV on steel studs.

I recommend having a look at this discussion - Mounting large 75" TV to a wall with a steel frame by @eneity. One of the issues with a moveable TV wall mount is that sometimes it's not wide enough to cover the gap between two studs. Or if it does manage to meet the distance, there is very little support to hold the bracket in place and hold the TV at the same time.

My best suggestion is to install a timber panel across two steel studs. This will allow you to securely mount the TV bracket and the timber piece will spread the weight between the studs.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your TV mounted and ready for use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

hi, so ive found two studs which are just close enough to fit the bracket on. Can i then skip the timber panel? (would like to if possible)

if so, then what should i be fixing to the stud with. as per my question above, toggle seems to be recommended by youtube but bunnings articles dont mention them?

Al  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can skip the timber panel if the studs are reachable @soapit.

What sized fixing holes are on your bracket? Toggles are used quite extensively on metal studs. However, I've been assured by a manufacturer of steel frames/studs that metal screws will also work. Typically the mounting bracket will have larger holes designed for timber screws. You need to select a screw/toggle screw with a large enough head not to pull through the bracket. I suspect you'll need to use washers to prevent this.

Mitchell

the holes are ~8mm.

maybe toggle and washers is the go?

Allan

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @soapit

If the studs are close enough to each other then I suggest going with @MitchellMc's recommendation. I propose bringing the bracket with you to the store and testing some washer screw combinations to make sure that the combination you purchase will fit perfectly on your TV bracket. 

Please remember to post a photo of the TV bracket once you've installed it on your wall. I'm sure our members will be keen to see the parts you used and what the final mounting looks like.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

thanks eric, 

any tips for specific products for the toggles/screws?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @soapit,

@EricL will be back after the weekend, and I trust he'll add to the conversations if needed.

If you're going for toggles, I suggest the slightly thicker 3/16" x 75mm version. For screws, I'd suggest Zenith 10G x 50mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Head Metal Screws.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

thanks guys. so went to bunnings on the weekend and got a few things to use the 3/16" x 75mm toggles. have hit a couple of things i wanted to ask about though.

so the toggles require a 14mm hole. bunnings didnt have a 14mm drill bit for metal, wood etc. I got a 13mm instead and hope the 1mm wouldnt kill things but then got it home and i didnt realise but the bit is too big for my drill. i suppose i need to borrow another drill but do you have any advice on what i should be looking for?

i also bought some washers which were labelled a the 3/16" (5G), when i put the toggle through theres not a lot o contact from the the head of the washer and also not a lot of contact from the washer to the mount unit. could perhaps i use two or more washers of increasing size to build up to bridge the gap a bit more? or are there other ideas?

thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @soapit

I'm sorry that the drill bit did not fit your current drill set. Technically you're after a drill with a larger chuck that can accommodate the drill bit you've purchased. Your suggestion of using two washers is exactly what I would have recommended in order to get more head contact. Just keep in mind that as you add more washers the taller it gets. It would be ideal to get one washer that has the correct size but sometimes some sizes are just not available.

My number one tip is to test the washer and screw set first to make sure that they fit and support the TV bracket.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects