Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Keyhole fastener for bed

ArtisticKitten
Getting Established

Keyhole fastener for bed

I have a bedframe with keyhole fasteners. The bit that slides into the keyhole broke off:

AfterAfter

Unfortunately the bed frame maker refuses to sell me this part that I need. 

Q. What kind of glue can I use to secure it back into place? There is a hole where the 'nub' that fell off fits into place, but it's not secured and will fall off again. 

Q. I found an online shop that has this style of bed fastener but it's in USA. Can I find something similar in Bunnings or in Australia? I can only find keyhole plates for picture frames on Bunnings.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Keyhole fastener for bed

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ArtisticKitten. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about bed brackets.

Due to the nature of that damage, I am not aware of any glue that would securely hold the broken piece in place. It's too small a surface area for glue to bite onto, and the stress the lug will receive is just too great. It is, however, fantastic to see that the knowledgeable @Brad has already offered a solution with some new brackets. I believe the easiest option would be to supersede the original bracket completely and place a Prestige 20 x 130mm Steel Bed Bracket on the inside edge of the bed rail.

Please let us know if you have questions or need further assistance with installing your new brackets.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ArtisticKitten
Getting Established

Thank you for the responses @Brad  and @MitchellMc ! It sounds like using new brackets (I'm learning new words 😅) will be the way to go. Would I need a drill to screw them into the wood?

A cordless drill would make the job easier @ArtisticKitten. However, you could potentially get away with using just a screwdriver.

Mitchell

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ArtisticKitten

@Brad  and @MitchellMc  replacent brackets are good if you can't find what you need, I thought maybe you could install a screw in place of the broken part as shown in the image below, just screw in place of broken part, also if the broken part is at the bed head end, you could swap the bracket from the end of the bed, so there wouldn't be much weight on the end of the bed. Item is available from Bunnings.

JoeAzza_0-1629088852415.png

Hi @JoeAzza,

I did ended up using a screw instead! I found a screw that fitted into the hole where the thread had fallen off, with a head big enough that it wouldn't go through the lower part of the keyhole. The screws you suggested looks like they'll be much better – I'll keep that in mind if the bed falls apart! 😹

Hello @ArtisticKitten

It's great that you got your bedframe fixed. If you have other projects going on around the house, please don't hesitate to post them here. Our members are more than happy to give advice and information should you need it. Please keep us updated.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects