Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lime washing a dining table

elliza88
Growing in Experience

Lime washing a dining table

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi everyone 

I am after some help to lime wash my dining table to create a more rustic look. Could anyone help me? I have attached a photo. Would I need to stain the wood before attempting to lime wash? As I don’t want the red colour of the wood to come through. 
Thank you 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Lime washing a dining table

Hi @elliza88,

@MitchellMc will be happy to help when he's back on the site tomorrow. Let me also tag @EricL to see if he can share any thoughts.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lime washing a dining table

Hello @elliza88,

I'm glad that you've proceeded with your project. In this instance I recommend to test the lime wash stain to see what effect it might have on the raw timber. When raw unprotected timber gets wet it turns dark because of the water entering the pores of the timber. Because lime wash is a stain it might darken the raw part that you've sanded. Test one coat to see the effect on that area, if turns dark you might have to use a sealing wax instead.

A sealing wax creates a barrier coat on top of the timber and does not travel down in to the pores. It does however create a shine on the timber, depending on the wax you use this too will have a particular effect to the finish of the sanded area of the table. Please note that if you choose to use something totally different, you will need to sand off the area where you tested the other products. Please let us know once you've tested these products on your table. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects