Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lounge and hallway floorboard sand and seal

hermes
Cultivating a Following

Lounge and hallway floorboard sand and seal

A088CC1B-8B6F-4D0C-B819-15A33D211157.jpeg

Hi Brains Trust, 

I am wanting to sand, polish and seal the living room and hallway, whereby there is a mix of Baltic pine and Cyprus floorboards of differing shades. Some areas have a darker shade for the perimeter.  

E30C5F4F-CD7A-4008-9FA8-8414431D5D6B.jpeg

I am considering using Japan Black for the stain once sanded and prior to polyurethane seal.

will the Japan black completely cover the mismatch of shades of timber? For reference, I am keen on this product : 

30EB9FB0-4047-4C69-BCEF-B6E235EA6182.jpeg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-watson-4l-black-japan-floor-finish_p1520372

Also, there appears to be some water marks/stain in the hallway region outside the bathroom affecting the timber. Does this have any bearing on the ability to hold the planned new stain? A view of the floorboards from under the house suggests there are different types of timber used, though this is seen only in areas that I am not planning to paint.

Thank you in advance for your advice 🙏

35DD0B35-06D6-4E84-B49D-F1C4441C9A46.jpeg

EB7BA64C-9696-4421-9F3D-336A0C400C10.jpeg

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Lounge and hallway floorboard sand and seal

Hi @hermes - you seem to be powering through things 👍 The Black Japan finish you’re looking at is a Black Japan stain incorporated into a polyurethane floor varnish. As you’ve noted, this will require an additional one or two coats of clear over the top. This product is semi transparent, and can be applied in more than coat to achieve the level of transparency you’re wanting - more coats, less transparency. It’s possible that more than one coat might hide the difference in colour between your wood types, but I think your really need to get it sanded to be able to really get an idea of what it’s going to look like. You could always buy Black Japan 250ml Satin Stain Varnish - and experiment. This is what I did, I used the water base Liming White - the colours work out pretty much the same. Then sand off before you do your floor.

The darker shade on the perimeter is a black finish from the olden days when they used to lay a carpet square/rug instead of fixing around the edges. It should disappear when you sand.

Regarding the water damage, you’ll have a better idea once you’ve sanded, hopefully it’s only in the top 5ml or so of your floorboards. As long as the boards are now dry, it shouldn’t affect the application of your floor finish, hope this helps, cheers Deb :smile:

hermes
Cultivating a Following

Thank you very much for your most valuable non insight, Deb.

I certainly have but more idea of what to anticipate. I had been reading online forums whereby others had trouble with 

1. Stain rubbing off after friction or moving furniture 

2. Application of second coat of Japan black allowing peeling off of first coat.

have you had any experience like these? Wonder if you could provide a photo of your project where Japan black was utilized? Thanks in anticipation. 

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @hermes - firstly, that product you like is essentially a stain varnish that gives a “black japan” effect. Real black japan is a stain and a totally different beast, and does require expertise to use. 

Point 1. Any product will come off if you drag things over it. Furniture etc., needs to have floor protectors used. You need to look after polished floors - dog nails clipped and stiletto heels to be left at the door!

Point 2. Peeling off due to application of the second coat is usually operator error. People get impatient and don’t allow correct drying time. Also, impatient people tend to NOT do their surface preparation properly.

As I said, I used a water based product, and it has a water based top-coat, so no point in comparing to your potential use of an oil base product. Rather than reading forums, give Feast Watson’s customer service a ring - they are technicians and people who know their stuff. 1800 252 502

Also “Thank you very much for your most valuable non insight, Deb.” 😂 cheers Deb :smile:

hermes
Cultivating a Following

Oh no! I have reread my initial reply.
I am most, most grateful to you, Deb! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me tag a few other members to see if they have had experience with Japan black floors @ProjectPete@2Belindas@PJA.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hermes
Cultivating a Following

Let me tag a few other members to see if they have had experience with Japan black floors @ProjectPete@2Belindas@PJA.

🤞🤞🤞fingers crossed - any of the tagged above can impart some knowledge ? Much appreciated!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Jiying would be interested in Japan Black floors, I just would have to hide the tin or relabel it China Black... Information does seem to be lacking on a good how to guide on using it. My understanding is that 3 coats gives you a black finish, 2 coats is brownish black and 1 coat is more brown than black based on Tas Oak or Vic Ash.

hermes
Cultivating a Following

F39D03DA-A9FC-47B9-A79A-B573DE4CA77C.jpeg

  

Update herein:

The floors were sanded and Black Japan stain applied. Awaiting the PU coating now. Very happy with the outcome thus far. 

46C437B4-4DEB-4F1E-A48C-DF056C239A3A.jpeg

D84F301A-30A5-4E46-8040-9DC6D90DC86B.jpeg

987191E5-6B4A-4FFF-8CC1-61F883C6ED7D.jpeg

It looks amazing! I suggest to use these as final touch to your hard work! If it touches the floor and you don't want any scratches use the felt on it.

Cut or trim to fit and protect your new floor!Cut or trim to fit and protect your new floor!Invest in fridge mover, this is the best and you will never have to drag it anywhere, it roll smoothly!Invest in fridge mover, this is the best and you will never have to drag it anywhere, it roll smoothly!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects