Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lowline entertainment unit using Tasmanian Oak

stackhat
Cultivating a Following

Lowline entertainment unit using Tasmanian Oak

EE63A331-2006-43B6-B1D9-4D07BBA696F8.jpeg

My GF saw a TV unit she liked the design of but didn’t like the glossy black external finish. I really didn’t like the price (selling in stores for $2500+) The only answer was to make my own.

I had a heap of 19mm TasOak DAR in various widths (65- 135mm) left over from other projects which I was able to biscuit and laminate. The T joints within the unit are dowelled and glued as are the butt joints around the external edges. 

All drawers and cupboards are push to open. On the left is a full height door with an adjustable/removable shelf, the center top is open, directly below is a flip down door and 2 drawers top and bottom on the right. 

I’ll probably finish it over this coming weekend. I need to make and fit the 2 drawers, sand and seal everything then a trip to Bunnings to find some suitable legs. 

IMG_8882.JPG

IMG_8863.jpg

stackhat
Cultivating a Following

Re: Tas Oak Lowline Entertainment Unit

So I finished this over the weekend. I found suitable legs at Bunnings for $4 each. I then got the belt sander out and quickly sanded the outside and front then finished by hand with a big block and 180 then 240.

It wasn’t till now that I noticed I had somehow managed stuff up the fronts. After a great debate with my GF on whether to scrap them and start again or leave as is. I did as I was told and applied wax. I used gilley stephensons products just as I’d used on other items I’ve made previously. 

Overall I’m pretty happy with it and it’s already filled and put to use.
EE63A331-2006-43B6-B1D9-4D07BBA696F8.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Lowline entertainment unit using Tasmanian Oak

Wow @stackhat, what a fantastic project! You and your partner must be thrilled with the end result. 

Apologies for the slow reply, but I wanted to extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's obvious you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with other members, and I trust you will also receive plenty of information and inspiration for new projects from the other talented and creative folk around these parts. We look forward to reading more of your posts soon - please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something new to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great work @stackhat - it's come up a treat!
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Sell it on gumtree for $3,000 hehehe, nice work mate! Beautiful craftsmanship!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects