Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Made a DIY neon sign

Endazhang
Growing in Experience

Made a DIY neon sign

My wife is a pianist and vocalist, so in our house there's a music room. While decorating the music room, we accidentally found a Youtube video about how to make a DIY neon sign (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-87DKOaC4&ab_channel=CreativelyErica).

We decided to make a sign with "On Air" and hang it next to the door.

The instructions are quite easy to follow. We got the plywood and hinges from Bunnings, and got the EL wire (with the battery kit) from Jaycar.

We are both very happy with the result. It's pretty cute, isn't it?

mmexport1659094429825.jpgmmexport1659094422751.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Made a DIY neon sign

That is super cool, @Endazhang! Love it!

I'd really like to give something like this a go myself. Did you encounter any difficulties along the way, or was it all smooth sailing? Is the EL wire battery powered, as I don't see any cords?

Many thanks for sharing this nifty project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Endazhang this is very cool thank you for sharing, I'm building a big Man Shed at the moment so a big neon sign might be on the cards now.

Carl

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Endazhang

This is such a classic sign at recording studios. To see it built with ease really stirs the imagination. I keep thinking of the "Welcome to Las Vegas" neon sign. It would probably require a lot of those EL wires.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful D.I.Y. neon sign.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects