Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Metal spray paint is getting off if I scratch the surface

mk1
Cultivating a Following

Metal spray paint is getting off if I scratch the surface

Hello,

Once again I am back with my very basic question. My dining chairs have got metal legs, which I painted them with dulux dura max spray paint. 

The problem is that the paint is easily scratch able and I need something permanent. 

can you please advise what type of product I shall use. 

Please see pictures. 

390EA9A1-35B0-4FD2-B788-F0DE1779A6A6.jpeg

A4E0F0DC-56B6-44B0-AE08-A64C194B7792.jpeg

92724FB3-77B9-4544-A0D1-5870F1666674.jpeg

Thanks,

MK

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Metal spray paint is getting off if I scratch the surface

Hi @mk1,

All paints applied from a spray can scratch to a certain extent. Adding a clear coat such as Dulux 325g Duramax Gloss Clear Spray Paint will provide an additional buffer layer to help prevent the paint scratching. Alternatively, epoxy enamel spray paint is harder wearing than the enamel spray paint you have used already. However, it doesn't come in finishes like the Duramax product.

What type of surface did you spray onto and what preparation did you use on that surface? Did you happen to use the Duramax primer before painting?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mk1
Cultivating a Following

Re: Metal spray paint is getting off if I scratch the surface

Hi @MitchellMc,

I didn't use any primer before painting. Just used the Spray Paint as I showed in the picture. 

Thanks for your suggestions, I will use Dulux 325g Duramax Gloss Clear Spray Paint as advised.

Cheers,

MK

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects