Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Metal window pelmets - how do they work on a bedroom window?

CHERYL3
Just Starting Out

Metal window pelmets - how do they work on a bedroom window?

Bunnings has a metal window pelmet for sliding doors i want to use over a bedroom window as i cannot make wooden ones.

Not sure whether it is going to work on a window.      

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: metal window pelmets how do they work on a bedroom window

Hello @CHERYL3 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. The best way to find out is to measure your window and the item you are trying to cover such as a louvers or roller blinds. If the length and width are sufficient on the metal pelmet cover it should work. You then need to find out if there is a point on your window frame that you can mount the pelmet on. Once you've answered these questions then it would be safe to say that it would be possible to mount the pelmet on to your window frame. Some cutting may be necessary should the pelmet prove to be too long. In saying this, building your own pelmet is a good exercise in basic carpentry. If you have the necessary tools you can make your own, if you are feeling up to it. You can post your measurements here on workshop and we can give you a better recommendation about the pelmet cover.

Cheers,

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CHERYL3. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you've already received some assistance from the knowledgeable @redracer01. Was this Cowdroy White Aluminium Pelmet Set the one you were looking at? If so, its size is quite minimal to cover a track system and only 100mm high and 50mm deep. Traditionally timber pelmets to cover curtains would be larger, perhaps 150mm high and 100mm deep. This additional depth accommodates your curtain rail, curtain, mounting brackets and curtain rings. I don't believe the 50mm depth on the metal pelmet set would be enough to cover anything more than some very slimline curtains.

As @redracer01 has mentioned, if you had a handsaw and drill, this would be a relatively easy project to complete in timber. I trust that our members would be more than willing to assist with advice on how you could go about building a pelmet yourself.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JenO
Getting Established

Hi,

i am interested in creating my own pelmets. Would they be attached to the top window frame trim? I have asbestos walls and desperately seeking measures to retain heat.

any advice or step by steps appreciated. Complete noob in DIY carpentry, but willing to try if it’s affordable for pensioner.

TIA

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @JenO 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. I'm glad to know that this post has inspired you to give this a go. Building timber pelmets as I mentioned may require some tools. We will of course have to paint it after we build it. We also have to be mindful of the asbestos in your walls hence we need to make sure that there is enough room on your window frame to mount the timber pelmet. If this is your first attempt at carpentry I suggest watching some basic box building diy videos to give you an idea of how you may proceed. As to the heat retaining measures perhaps you can elaborate some more on what exactly you had in mind. Time permitting I will try to post a basic pelmet drawing that will hopefully give you ideas. 

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JenO,

As @redracer01 has mentioned, we would be more than happy to assist you with creating some pelmets. Are there curtains on a rail there at the moment? Switching to heavy woollen curtains will assist with heat retention. A pelmet is not completely necessary for this, and we could advise on a curtain rail mounting that keeps the curtains close to the wall. This is very important as you want the curtains snug up against the window frame preventing heat escape and drafts.

I look forward to hearing more about the current arrangement and advising on your pelmet project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JenO
Getting Established

Thank you @redracer01  and @MitchellMc for the prompt response. I’ll definitely checkout the box building videos for a clearer idea.

Currently the window has a simple hook and wire sheer curtain against the outside edge of the window frame, and a thick rod with metal ring blockout curtains attached on brackets from the window frame itself.

The windows in the house are all non standard sizing being so old, many are around 60.5cm wide internal width measurements. They are also extra tall at 215cm. I find it difficult to get curtains to suit, particularly at an affordable price.

If I had to replace curtains, would it be better value and more energy efficient to consider the cut down to size double roller blinds (light filter and blockout) available from Bunnings? Though I imagine there will still be some heat loss due to the gap on either side for the internal bracket fitting.

Purchasing heavy woollen curtains for all windows would not be affordable at this point (8x 60.5cmW, 1x approx 160cmW, 1x approx 2.8m - inc sliding door). But definitely something I’ll keep in mind as an ongoing concern as budget allows.

I am however looking for something achievable rather quickly in the current cold snap.

All windows have the dressing as mentioned above for now. A sheer plus a blockout. I just figured a pelmet at the top would help trap any escaping heat loss.

You do raise a good point regarding keeping the curtains closer to the frame. I’ve checked and there is some gap. Unfortunately the brackets installed will not allow for closer mounting despite being adjustable. They are for a thicker rod. I might check if Bunnings stocks shorter ones.

I’ll measure the available height of the window frame that may allow for the pelmet to be attached. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects