Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Modern brick makeover using paint

RickyandPenny
Getting Established

Modern brick makeover using paint

DIY quick and easy brick makeover! 

We wanted to modernise and neautralise the existing beige brick wall to create a statement point in the living room without taking away the classic 'brick look'. 

Our method:

Step 1 : paint both bricks and mortar lines white using a rat tail paintbrush for mortar lines and roller for the bricks.

Note: use the paintbrush to coat any textured bricks or patches that the roller does not reach. 

Step 2 : use a roller only to apply grey paint or colour of choice to bricks, leaving the mortar lines white. 

Repeat step 2 for greater coverage and a more contrasted look. 

Note: ensure that there is only a light coat of paint on roller to reduce chance of paint dripping into grout lines. 

3 coats of paint later, we are super happy with this wall and it's now the focal point of our living room! 

PXL_20220604_135645883~4.jpg

PXL_20220604_123946453~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220605-174318~2.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Modern brick makeover

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RickyandPenny. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

What a wonderful technique to create a focal point. I love your work and how you double-layered paint to emphasize the bricks. I bet it took some work to get those white mortar lines crisp.

Great work, and I can't wait to check out your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi! What type of paint should I ask for the bricks that are inside the garage pls? Also should I try any primer or undercoat etc before paiting the bricks? Thanks!

An interior paint like Dulux Wash and Wear would be fine @Prakashk85. I'd recommend you use their 1Step primer/undercoat before the topcoat.

If you have deep mortar joints, I suggest investing in a UNi-PRO 270mm 20mm Nap Genius Sheepskin Paint Roller Cover as the additional nap length helps get into all the nooks and crannies.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hello @MitchellMc 

Thanks for your response, much appreciated! I have some leftover below paint and primer. Can I use them pls?

Screenshot_20231210_212512_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_212530_Chrome.jpg

  

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Modern brick makeover using paint

Hello @Prakashk85,

@MitchellMc is currently away on his year-end break but our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to provide his thoughts on whether you can use that leftover paint and primer when he's back online on the site later today.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Prakashk85 

If you have enough of the primer and topcoat it will work on the brick wall. I only suggest using the same product should you run short in covering the brick wall. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Prakashk85
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects