Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Modern dresser with fluted top drawers

Rachel_DeMarchi
Cultivating a Following

Modern dresser with fluted top drawers

86F64953-D342-4A62-9A1D-3441739660FC.jpeg

I upcycled this dresser with 1/2 round dowel on the top two drawers, all hand cut to size. I painted with British paint refined stone. The top I sanded back and used a walnut stain and varnish and 32mm matte black knobs to compliment the curves of this piece. I absolutely love how it turned out.
Thanks Bunnings! 

  

BEBD5D67-DAEA-4615-A59D-5378FDA897E5.jpeg

DB577FFA-9855-461F-94E3-5642CCCF44CD.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Modern dresser with fluted top drawers

Hello @Rachel_DeMarchi

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thank you for sharing your amazing upcycle project.

What a beautiful transformation from an old brown drawer to a classic Hampton-looking piece. The lighter timber top really draws your eye to the overall look of the cabinet. The timber dowels add an excellent contrast to the profile of the drawer set. The matte black knobs perfectly blend in with the drawers. 

Again, thank you for sharing such an excellent upcycling project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @Rachel_DeMarchi,

A very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're thrilled to have you here, and trust you'll find this a great resource for all things D.I.Y. 

What a lovely transformation you've achieved there! That dowel work is simply impressive, and I absolutely adore your styling. Great work.

Looking forward to your next project.

Akanksha 

shanthini
Getting Established

Amazing job @Rachel_DeMarchi ! Love it. If you don’t mind can you tell me how you fixed the knob? Did you drill the dowel and fixed the know over it? Also which glue did you use? And how did you cut the dowel? Sorry for asking too many questions. I am planning to do a similar dresser upcycle. Thanks for sharing your work.

Shan

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @shanthini

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @Rachel_DeMarchi to make sure they see your kind words and questions. To guarantee a long-lasting bond I suggest using

Selleys 250g Clear Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive, the adhesive dries clear and leaves no ugly smudges from imperfect applications.

I recommend drilling the hole after the adhesive has cured. This will prevent the dowel from twisting and turning while it is being drilled. For a flat and perfect cut, I suggest using a Trojan 200mm Dovetail Saw  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

shanthini
Getting Established

Hi @EricL ,

Thank you so much! That is very handy that you have linked all the products too :)! I look forward to DIYing my dresser soon. Thank you once again @EricL & @Rachel_DeMarchi .

Shan

@shanthini 

Hi, I cut the dowel around the knobs so all of the knobs were the same length. Exactly what Eric said, clear liquid nails and a handsaw. Good luck!

Thank you. 

Rachel_DeMarchi
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much.

Hi @Rachel_DeMarchi

Let me tag @shanthini to make sure they see your answer. Thank you for confirming the materials you used for your upcycling project. Let me just add that the tabletop finish looks superb as well.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects