Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New desk - built in lockdown

cmstar
Cultivating a Following

New desk - built in lockdown

I needed a new desk so we had these delivered from Bunnings in Melbourne lockdown. I purchased 2 x steel Rapidmesh leg furniture, a pine panel which we then painted with liming white paint. It came up really well. Very happy with the finished product. 

B400D5D2-A952-4C9B-AC42-5F6745768F8C.jpeg

D10F27F2-05C4-4FB3-9181-BB76BA4B6F2A.jpeg

1A3DBA3D-84DA-4F02-A331-4AF85CCBAE12.jpeg

cmstar
Cultivating a Following

Re: New desk - built in lockdown

Thanks MitchelleMc for replying to this post, the legs you said were correct. Even though there are 2 legs in the picture this price only reflects 1 leg so you have to order 2, it does let you know this in the wording. I only ordered one for an online delivery and luckily the store called me to let me know before it went out for delivery. www.bunnings.com.au/rapidmesh-70-x-73-2-x-6cm-black-steel-tube-table-furniture-leg_p0130253

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for clarifying, @cmstar.

Let me mention @HaymishB, so they are alerted to your response.

I've passed that feedback onto our merchandise team about there being two legs pictured. What a fantastic pickup by the team in-store though, I'm sure that saved a delay in your project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sa2003
Just Starting Out

Hello @cmstar,

The desk looks fantastic. Can you kindly advise what pine panel you got and what size /measurements was it?

A link or page from Bunnings site would be greatly appreciated if possible of pine panel. How many screws did you put per leg to hold it well?

Thanks in advance!

cmstar
Cultivating a Following

@Sa2003 

Hi yes happy to share with you the panel I used.  Here is the link, then I used the liming paint which is also highlighted in this feed. 
https://www.bunnings.com.au/araucoply-2100-x-900-x-30mm-clear-pine-fj-laminated-panel_p0290007

I used 6 screws for each legs to secure it. The holes are already in the legs so made it easy! It’s very solid now. 
Good luck and look forward to seeing your picture on the workshop site. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sa2003. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

It's fantastic to see you've taken inspiration from this amazing project. As @cmstar has mentioned, we'd all be keen to see your finished desk. Please let us know if you need any assistance with it or any other projects around your house and garden. You'll find tonnes of inspiration for them within the community as our creative members contribute their projects here all the time.

Mitchell

I have been looking to build a simple yet modern desk and saw this.  Can you please advise the timber size to buy and do you carry Tasmanian oak.  What other materials would I need to complete the project.  This will be my first attempt as a female DIY. Thanks

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @edel. It's fantastic to have you join us and we'd love to help with your first project.

@cmstar mentioned using the following products in this D.I.Y. project:

• 6 screws for each leg to secure it (the holes are already in the legs, which makes it easier)

Could you let us know what size desk top you are wanting to fit in your space? Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL can then help select the right timber for your project when he's back on the site on Friday if you don't want to use the same Pine panel.

Stevie

Can you advise what type of screws would be sufficient for the below leg into a merbau panel? A link to the screws would be perfect.

RapidMesh 70 x 73.2 x 6cm Black Cusco Steel Tube Table Furniture Leg

Likewise as original poster, I'm going with same kind of desk, except with a merbau panel. 

Would it be best to use a beeswax finish? 

How best to apply?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lockdownv6

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your desire to build your own desk.

It's great that this project has inspired you to make your own desk. Let me tag @cmstar so that they are alerted to your question. If you are using the SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Merbau Panel please do not take off the protective cover until you are ready to wax the panel. 

If you are using Glitz 200g Beeswax Polish I suggest testing it on an inconspicuous area before use. Use a soft cloth to apply the polish onto the panel. Leave the test area for five minutes, use a lint-free cloth to buff and shine the test spot. Beeswax is a natural timber sealer and will work with unsealed or varnished timber. If you are satisfied with the results, seal all the sides of the panel with Beeswax.

Please keep us updated, we would love to see your desk once it is assembled and polished.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lockdownv6 

I'm so sorry if I did not give you a detailed answer. I had to call the store to find out how big the mounting holes were on the furniture leg. I recommend using the Zenith 10G x 25mm Gold Passivated Wafer Head Type 17 Timber Screws - 50 Pack. Please note that this is on the premise that you're using the SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Merbau Panel which is 26mm thick.

The top steel plate of the RapidMesh 70 x 73.2 x 6cm Black Cusco Steel Tube Table Furniture Leg is conservatively around 3 to 4mm in thickness. It is best practice to place the screw beside the leg and benchtop to make sure that the screw is long enough to hold the benchtop. If you need further assistance with this project, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects