Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint choice for feature wall

abhayks
Having an Impact

Paint choice for feature wall

CFFAF955-D57F-4363-9FD7-22E337207D9D.jpeg

485D546E-3D49-4EDE-9C9B-E79F45656A8B.jpeg

ED732C72-0B45-4EDA-8961-5A206A88A0B1.jpeg

Hi,

just made a feature wall. Added a pattern  using pine planks and painted on it. 
currently used Dulux Seude effect paint and the effects are plain ugly. 
we choose a dark shade and now the room looks small. 
I plan to put primer and then repaint it with some lighter shade. Which colour will look good ?
Any recommendations about Metalic effect range from Dulux. Any photos will be really appreciated.

Attached are photos of my current ugly

wall

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint choice for feature wall

Hi @abhayks

I'm sorry to hear that your paint plans didn't go smoothly. Dark colours do tend to make a room smaller. They also become a point of focus because they're in contrast with everything else. A classic colour technique is to use a single colour with different tint strengths. For example, you painted your main wall in full strength Lexicon but instead of using this paint on the pine planks, you use half-strength. this will produce a subtle difference that will make the pine planks stand out. 

Another way to do it is to go full contrast painting the pine planks in a different colour. There are a great number of colour combinations you can do. Our paint providers have created a combination set to make it easier for you to choose. On your next visit to the store grab the brochures for interior paint. You'll see some amazing combinations that should give you ideas on how to paint your feature wall.

I've made some sketches with different colour combinations on them. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you choose the right paint colour?

Here are some links to handy guides.

Let me tag our experienced members @Monika1 and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
craftyhopper
Making a Splash

Hi @abhayks 

You’ve done such a great job with the pattern.

I personally think that the pattern is the feature and should be painted in a flat colour.

If it were my room, I’ve been using Porters Paint in Yacht Race… but that’s because I’m a little obsessed with the colour!

With dark colours you need to consider your furniture and decor colours.

You could add some pendant lights to brighten it up.

Take a look at my master bedroom project using the Yacht Race colour.

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Featured-Projects/VJ-panelling-bedroom-makeover/ta-p/76262

You could also try a slightly lighter colour like this….

craftyhopper
Making a Splash

0477A7A1-5D9C-4A9D-A3F4-CFFFC8F816BE.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @abhayks,

I thought I would just put my two cents in to say that I don't entirely feel that you've given this colour/suede effect a fair go. I believe any colour that is only half painted with a motley coverage like this will look horrid. I'd encourage you to finish the painting job and then make your decision. At the moment, you can see through the coating, and you need at least another coat, if not two, to cover. I'm not quite sure what is going on with the wet/dry look of the paint. Has it not dried there or have you played with the paint whilst drying?

Obviously, finishing the painting will not assist with stopping the darker colour making the room look smaller. Honestly, though, I believe the whole line of "Dark colours make a room look smaller." is a bit overused as a negative thing. Dark colours also make a room look cozy and, if accessorized well, are an excellent choice for areas like bedrooms.

Some application tips:

• Apply the first base coat with the roller as you would usually paint.

• Working in small sections, apply the second coat with the roller.

• While the paint is still wet, apply a texture. Using a wide brush, dry roller or muslin, drag the paint in a random, overlapping pattern.

• When painting, resist the temptation to touch up as you go, as it will ruin the effect.

• Start in a top corner and work your way diagonally into the wall.

Once the painting is completed, if it still looks terrible, I'll be the first one to suggest you paint over it. If you're not happy with the look, it needs to go. However, I can envisage what this would look like when completed correctly, and I don't think the current look reflects what the finished result will be at all.

Mitchell

Thanks All.

@craftyhopper you have done excellent job. Room looks great. 

Bluetooth
Having an Impact

We did a small room recently in Dieskau, and it looks great.

Dieskau is a welcoming greige with a warm, slightly mauve undertone. Soft and subtle, Dieskau is perfect for any space inside the home and ideal if you're wanting to achieve the Hamptons look with trim in crisp white such as Lexicon® Half or Vivid White™.

Check it out on the Bunnings website, and rock that Hamptons look!

Hi All.

thanks for your amazing inputs. We are able to finish it to our liking. 

I'm posting a video of the process with the hope that people can see how easy it is and can inspire someone to try on their own. 

Feature Wall.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @abhayks

Thank you so much for posting an update on your feature wall. That metallic gold paint certainly did the trick. It looks fantastic and highlights the patterns very nicely. I hope that it no longer makes the room look smaller. I'm definitely going to have to give this a try when I get my own place.  

Again, Thanks for sharing your feature wall project.

Eric

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Hi, looks good different, I can show you my feature wall in the bedroom but I am a  girl . I am on a budget so have only used two colours from Bunnings through the whole house but you wouldn’t know.Oh I did buy small pots of different colours and mixed them with white for the bedrooms.Here is some of my creations the lounge in Pacific Teal the paint man at Bunnings chose that because I was hellbent on Teal. To contrast light to medium gray on the other walls. My neighbour kept saying I would never match the colours but it worked fine for me. The bedroom was dusty pink and light gray. The pink was white and red (small pot)) plus a touch of the dark gray. The other walls light gray (white and dark gray).The toilet was teal and white and the spare room although it looks all the same was actually teal and white and white and navy blue. The remainder is going on some doors as we speak.So with a little help from Bunnings I managed to paint everything except the bathroom and laundry. I have seen some good ideas here I may borrow 

070F96D8-28C7-48C4-A9C8-93A902FDFA64.jpeg

E9FFBFE3-F2BE-4FF8-9E73-82240F6BE0FF.jpeg

3183D96D-6369-4E05-A9D1-E3555283BF7B.jpeg

089F0977-A9EF-4E7D-A628-1999D10A9C34.jpeg

204C6872-5F31-4CCA-96B4-A1966A2CC0FC.jpeg

8BC334A5-19DD-477A-A691-A885D4AF15DF.jpeg

8FDEAD95-F69D-4E96-8083-82C9F964F120.jpeg

0AE20AFA-F92E-443D-82D2-DF0CEC289352.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects