Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint preparation help

Moosdad
Getting Established

Paint preparation help

Hi guys this is my first ever post. My wife and I brought our first home and we have started to prepare for paint. We have come across some problems with previous paint issues and were wanting advice on how to fix it. The current paintwork has ripples in it under the surface so we have started to scrape it back and we were having trouble with sanding and blending levels in the old paint. We are going to use some dulux 1 step to help fix the problem. Will this help? Does anyone have any ideas which might help us. Thank you in advance

What some of the problem in the roof looked likeWhat some of the problem in the roof looked like

Some of our scraping workSome of our scraping work

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: paint prep help

Hi @Moosdad,

Congratulations on buying your first home. This must be a really exciting time for you. And we are thrilled you could join us here on Workshop and join in the discussion. I'm sure there will be plenty of community members happy to help you with your renovation projects along the way.

For your painting preparation questions, let me tag some members with renovation, sanding and painting experience like @mikedoeslife@Simon@r23on and @ProjectPete to kick off.

You might also be interested in these resources:

Hope that helps. Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

You have my sympathies @Moosdad. Sanding isn't a fun job!

How old is the plaster? Is replacing it with new plasterboard an option?

Anyway, a good quality primer and undercoat should help you to get the best possible result. Just remember not to mix and match paints. So you'll want a Dulux product for the topcoat. 

Rick64
Getting Established

I would seal this first with a good quality 3in1 psu (primer, sealer,undercoat).  Then top with some gyprock topping compound. Then sand lightly with some fine sanpaper. Then another coat of psu. Then apply top coats as previous poster suggested. Make sure you leave plenty of drying time between coats, and do the job properly as it is your own house!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing some expert advice @Rick64. I'm sure @Moosdad appreciates the input. Great to have you as part of the Workshop community.

Jason

Moosdad
Getting Established

Thank you so much for your help martyh and rick64

Also thank you jason for your help recommending guys for helping me. Much appreciate it.
I will keep you updated
Moosdad
Getting Established

Hi guys just an update on the paint prep for our spare room. We ended up scraping the whole roof back and starting fresh and im so glad we did. We finished it on the long weekend and it looks great. Thank you all for your help
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @Moosdad. Glad to hear that you got a great result. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. What's next on the project list?

Jason

Moosdad
Getting Established

Next on my to do list is the rest of the house. 1 room at a timeRoof is lexicon qtr strength and walls are gamelan. Both duluxRoof is lexicon qtr strength and walls are gamelan. Both dulux

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects