Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting aluminimum windows - 70s house

homediyguy
Finding My Feet

Painting aluminimum windows - 70s house

Hi all,

First time posting here and hoping to gather some guidance and advice from all of you.

Recently bought a house and decided to renovate a bedroom top to bottom.

I'm having issues with the aluminium windows. Typical looking old aluminum windows. Dirty, ugly and would love to remove them.. only is is once I removed the architraves and quarter round from where the "reveals" are, I noticed the reveals were not normal and not attached to the window frame... can someone please tell me if the windows are set into the house frame or brick?! So strange.. I was hoping for a pull out window and reveal and replace with new aluminium windows that are better looking and clean.

The fake reveals left a big gap (about 5-10 mm at times) between it and the aluminum frame. The framing is not straight along the top or bottom on multiple windows in the house and was unlevel compared to reveals which looked level when using a level,

20200901_121713.jpg

20200901_121721.jpg

20200901_121734.jpg

  

20200901_121745.jpg

20200901_121813.jpg

20200901_121829.jpg

20200901_121838.jpg

    

so I was hoping to start by trying with a bedroom window on how I would go.

Even if I leave the windows in there, how to I level the framing or at least paint the gunky crusty frame which already has paint on them?!

Any advice is much appreciated

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Aluminimum windows - 70s house

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @homediyguy. It's tremendous to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

You might like to start by checking out a few other discussions on the topic

Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y guide on How To Paint Window Frames which I trust you'll find useful in the process.

It appears that the window frames are boxed in with timber. The filler around the aluminium frame would need to be removed and you'll most likely come across screws or nails holding the window in position. Once it is removed you'll be free to install new windows and fix the reveal and fill any of the remaining gaps.

Let me mention @Brad to see if he has come across this situation before.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Aluminimum windows - 70s house

Hi @homediyguy,

Just checking in to see how you are going with your window project? I trust Mitch's assistance was helpful, but please let us know if you need anything further.

I would also be great if you could provide an update on progress as some of our previous discussions on renovating and/or painting alumium doors and windows have been extremely popular with the community. It seems to be a very popular project with members. 

Thanks,

Jason

leroynz
Just Starting Out

Re: Painting aluminimum windows - 70s house

Hi,

I have the same old aluminium windows and want to improve/upgrade! Did you end up replacing the windows including reveal?

Thanks in advance

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting aluminimum windows - 70s house

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @leroynz. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @homediyguy, so they are alerted to your question.

You might like to post some pictures of your window so our helpful members can provide some advice on the options available. I'm keen to hear more about your situation and offer solutions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects