Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting walls after removing wallpaper

tmoyn
Growing in Experience

Painting walls after removing wallpaper

I have recently started removing wallpaper from three bedrooms in preparation to paint.  I realise I will need to fill the gaps but I'm wondering if someone could give me some advice about the flaky (I guess, Primer) paint that was underneath the wallpaper.

Do I need to sand back all of the paint or just the areas where the paint is flaky?

PXL_20201231_015516393-resized.jpgPXL_20201231_041040173-resized.jpgPXL_20201231_041101684-resized.jpgPXL_20201231_041111432-resized.jpgPXL_20201231_041405463-resized.jpg 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Painting walls after removing wallpaper

Hi @tmoyn

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Bunnings Workshop.

Let me tag @Peggers , author of How to paint like a professional, to see if he might like to kick off this discussion and share how he would tackle this project. Typically you would just need to keep sanding back until you have a stable (and smooth) surface to apply a new coat of paint. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative members. 

Please feel free to let us know whenever you need a hand with a project or need assistance getting the most from the site.

Jason  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Peggers
Becoming a Leader

@Jason Thanks for tagging me Jason. I agree, you just need to get the surface smooth, not necessarily get rid of all previous coats.

@tmoyn Thanks for posting such good pics - makes it far easier when helping someone. If it was me, then I'd just sand the edges of the flaky paint with a fine grade sandpaper until the edges are feathered in with the bare walls. So that there are still patches of different colour, but you can't see any defined edges - and when you run your finger over it, it feels smooth. When you paint over something, it's always the edges or cracks that are most noticeable. In that respect, I wouldn't get rid of all of that paint.

My only caveat would be to maybe gently sand some of the other areas you suspect might be susceptible to flaking. Just smooth your hand over large areas and see if there feels any give in the paper or looseness. While you don't necessarily need to get rid of it all, it's a killer if it starts flaking when you're in the middle of painting new coats. Go in with the mindset that you don't need to get rid of it, but you'll get a sense of whether that's possible when you start trying to blend in areas with fine sanding.

Be interested to see how it goes - good luck!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tmoyn,

It's great to see you've already received some solid advice from @Peggers.

The only thing I could add is that you might be best starting with a Trojan 6 In1 Multi Paint Scraper and really giving the flaking areas a good go over. This will reveal those loose and deteriorated areas where the paint will potentially let go later on. Do the same to any cracks or areas that look a bit unusual. Follow that up with the sanding technique mentioned above. I'd also agree that if you can't feel the transition with your fingers, then it is a good indication paint will cover it. 

Once everything is sound and sanded smooth, fill any larger cracks or deformities and sand back the filler. Apply a product like British Paints White 4 In 1 Prep Water Based Primer Sealer Undercoat to ensure everything is ready for paint.

Please let us know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

tmoyn
Growing in Experience

Thank you @Jason@Peggers and @MitchellMc for your great advice and encouragement.  I really appreciate it.

I will be sure to keep plugging along and will post some more pictures of my progress.

Thanks for all your help.  :bigsmile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries @tmoyn, we're here to help.

Jason

Thank you all @tmoyn, for posting your initial post and @MitchellMc, @Peggers for the great advice. I too have recently removed wallpaper, and in some sections it has removed some of the paint. While I intend on replacing it with new wallpaper to create a different look and feel to the room, should I also smooth over the areas where the paint has come off to ensure the new wallpaper goes on smoothly? The new wallpaper requires the adhesive to be applied to the wall first.Wallpaper removedWallpaper removed

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would smooth it over to be safe. I will have to skim coat my loungeroom before I repaint it as where the feature wall wallpaper is coming off it is fairly rough.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @NickiM,

Great to see you get a prompt and helpful response from Brad.

Let me also tag @Peggers to see if he might like to share his thoughts. 

@MitchellMc will also be on hand to share tips and suggestions on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

@NickiM good to see you're using wallpaper. I posted a discussion recently asking Does Anyone Still Use Wallpaper? I've had some good results using it. The great thing about it - as well as the designs - is that it does tend to help cover any imperfections. I'd agree with @Brad that it's worth trying to get the area you're pasting onto as flat and smooth as possible, but wallpaper isn't going to show up any imperfections as starkly as painting would. It doesn't have to be perfect, just as smooth and flat as you can get it. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects