Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pallet coffee table ideas

WCE2019
Former Community Member

Pallet coffee table ideas

Hello Workshop Community,

in school i have been given a task to make 'somthing' out of two pallets they are aprox 1.25x1.25m 

i have decided to make a coffee table.

can somone help me come up with ideas for its design and how to build it?
Thanks

WCE2019

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pallet Coffee Table Ideas

Hi @WCE2019,

Good luck with your project. 

These plans might help you get started - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/indoor/living-room/diy-slatted-coffee-table

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
WCE2019
Former Community Member

Thanks @Jason

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @WCE2019

I have drawn you a nice simple pallet coffee table. The trick to this table is the finish. Using a random orbital sander you must polish the top and second shelf to within an inch of its life. Not to mention givng the legs a good sanding as well. after all the sanding and polishing The secret paint is a stain and varnish called "Black Japan Gloss", you must only paint the top and bottomshelf but leave the rest as normal. You can leave the timber bordering plain so that top pops out or do the entire surface, its up to you. Once the stain has dried you can cover the entire table with plain clear non yellowing varnish. If done properly you should get the effect I've drawn. This will test your patience and DIY skills. Goodluck and hope to see the finished product on the site!

Clean and simple. Your effort will give the table character.Clean and simple. Your effort will give the table character.Here is the starting frame.Here is the starting frame.The top frame simply needs to centered.The top frame simply needs to centered.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Fantastic plans as always @redracer01. Well done!

Jason

WCE2019
Former Community Member

Thank you red @redracer01 

what are the joins used?

also,

could anyone tell me aprox how many pallets this uses?
DIY-Pallet-Wood-Coffee-Table-The-Merrythought.jpgDIY-Pallet-Wood-Coffee-Table-The-Merrythought- (1).jpgPallet-Wood-Coffee-Table-The-Merrythought.jpgPallet-Wood-Coffee-Table-The-Merrythought-.jpg

The design I made for you uses ordinary butt joins. Where the flat side of a timber piece plainly meets the flat side of another. If you cut the timber in a 45 degree angle and join two 45 degree angle joins, this is known as a mitre join. There are many more types of angles and can be seen on any timber joinery web site. The drawing I made will approximately use a little over 2 pallets. Best thing to do is to disassemble the pallets and line them up to see where you need to make the cuts and how many parts you may need to complete the table. The picture you posted will probably use the same amount of pallets, but as i stated the best thing to do is to make measurements and do the math. You can also physically match up the pieces that you have to the design your are trying to emulate. Good luck on your measurements!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

WCE2019
Former Community Member

thanks @redracer01

will do :smile: 

I'll post the final pictures when i am done👍

WCE2019
Former Community Member

finally, i can start.
everyone in my class has finished their reports and now we can start on our projects.
just pulled the pallets apart today.
heaps more wood than i expected
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good stuff @WCE2019. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Make sure you take plenty of photos for us!

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects