Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Purple wood stain colour

Scotts
Finding My Feet

Purple wood stain colour

Hi. couple of things.

1.wondering if anyone out there would know how to make a purple wood stain. 

2.  Is it true you can mix a water based stain with water based paint to achieve the colour. Or the same with oil based. If so what what would be the best initial stain to use. 

This is the colour im trying to achieveIMG_20190904_092559.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Purple wood stain colour

Hi @Scotts,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community. 

What are you planning to stain? Let me tag @Simon for you who might like to kick off the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Its a box layered in matchsticks

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

OK, so it’s sort of like pine? I’m guessing that you want to see the wood grain in your project? I can suggest how you can experiment to try and achieve that colour, but it will take some work.

1. You need to find a tintable wood stain - so you choices are:

1.1 - Cabot’s oil/water based interior wood - which cannot be used outdoors.

1.2 Intergrain Natural Stain for exterior wood (which can be used indoors)

So, your choice is based on where this project is going to live. If it’s outside, your only choice is Intergrain.

2. You need to be prepared to find a colour that’s close in the “Tintable” range, and work with an experienced paint person, to change the tinting formula to achieve the colour you want. This is because that colour is very unusual, and you need to know how much tint can be thrown into the tintable base in order to achieve that colour, and will the base cope with it - if that makes sense.

3. Be prepared for a few mistakes, and difficulty finding a paint person to help. Your best bet is to find the most experienced Bunnings person or, a store that sells Cabot’s or Intergrain products plus most experienced person there.

If you don’t want to see the wood grain, then something like Cabot’s Timber Coour is great because you can get vibrant colours for a very reasonable price - and you can dump most of the Dulux Colours into this paint and it will work.

Hope this helps, cheers Deb

IMG_20190923_092810.jpg

 yeah this box i made for missus. Is what im  want to stain

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hey @Scotts - great project. Now, is this something that lives indoors or outdoors? I’m asking because, with the colour you want - pretty impossible to achieve with a tintable clear for outside. Might be possible for a project that lives inside.

This will determine whether you need to follow @MartyH post (probs need to buy on internet) or my suggestion about using an Intergrain/Cabot’s product. Hope this helps, cheers Deb :smile:

Jojo69
Cultivating a Following

Another option is Rit fabric dye.  It is cheap and comes in a number of different colours.  I have been using it for staining "Shou sugi ban" a Japanese tradition of burning wood.it leaves an amazing 3D effect. 20200419_065723.jpg20200330_111403.jpg

@Jojo69   This looks amazing, the affect you have achieved is awesome and so vibrant.  I love how the grain just pops out at you.  Do you know if we have tintable wood stains here in Australia?  Guess I should be asking folk like @Mathy  @Jason  or @MitchellMc  there are so many products in the USA that we don't have here.  TransTint Dye can be purchased on ebay, but the freight is 10 x $$.  So just not an option.

Cheers

This Old Gal

Jojo69
Cultivating a Following

I find it difficult to do stain on shou sugi ban as it is difficult to wipe off. 20200503_142455.jpg i have used Rit fabric dye on sanded wood and love the out come. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects