Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Question on screws for my desk

PH1L
Just Starting Out

Question on screws for my desk

Hi All, 

I'm looking to upgrade my desk. It is a standing desk and i intend to keep the legs and change out the table top. 

I have found moving houses that each time i take apart my desk and rebuild it, the holes i drilled in the beginning have worn down and the screws don't go in as well as the first time.

With the new table top I'm hoping to prevent that issue. I've seen desks that have plastic inserts (is this the right word?) that are glued into the desk that then can have a screw go into them and greatly reduces wear and tear. My drawer has some of these and have made rebuilding a breeze. 

I've had a look online but am unsure of what product i need exactly. Does anyone here have any advice/can direct me to the correct product?

Thank you in advance! I really appreciate the help. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Question on screws for my desk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PH1L. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about screws.

I'm not entirely sure of what these plastic inserts you're referencing are. We do have T-nuts and insert nuts which get inserted into timber, and a bolt can then be fixed into them. Is there any chance you could take a picture of the plastic insert you had seen? That would aid me in trying to track something similar down. I have assembled cabinetry before that utilised plastic versions of these connector cams.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more details and assisting in finding a solution. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects