Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Re-finishing lacquered birch table

CEH
Cultivating a Following

Re-finishing lacquered birch table

I have an Ikea gateleg dining table that is solid birch treated with clear acrylic lacquer. So it is a very light colour, and I would prefer a lightly tinted finish. I had a step stool of theirs, also done in clear acrylic lacquer, and after a light sanding I used Feast Watson Scandinavian oil (I think, from memory) which gave a light almost honey colour.

So question: If I sand the table lightly, what would be the best, durable oil finish that Bunnings carry? I know Ikea have an oil they say is a mix of linseed  oil and tung oil. Is something like that good?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Re-finishing lacquered birch table

Hi @CEH,

Scandinavian oil is typically tung oil and/or linseed oil. So if you had the desired result with the original Feast Watson Scandinavian Oil you used, I'd suggest sticking with that. Oils are reasonably durable, and the idea is that you keep applying them, perhaps once a year, depending on usage. 

I'm sure our members would be keen to see the before and after shots of the table if you like to share them with us.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CEH
Cultivating a Following

Re: Re-finishing lacquered birch table

Hi MitchellMc

Thank you. I'll do that - it will probably be a few weeks before I do it.

Charles

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects