Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restored some old drawers

sophie_soz
Getting Established

Restored some old drawers

Spruced-up a pair of old side tables that had been in my husband's room for 20-30 years.

Sanded them back, removed the knobs, then applied stain and varnish and attached new knobs.

Final resultFinal resultBeforeBeforeBeforeBefore

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Restored some old drawers

Hello @sophie_soz

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your cabinet drawer restoration project.

Those cabinet drawers look mint as if they came out of the store just yesterday. The finish on them is just so impressive not a single brushmark on those drawer fronts. Can you please tell us what kind of stain and varnish you used on the cabinets? Did you sand all of the old sealer off and what kind of brush did you use to apply the stain and varnish? 

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm sure our members would be keen to more about the steps you took to get this store-perfect finish.

If you have any other information you can share while restoring these cabinet drawers, it would be very much appreciated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sophie_soz
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

I sanded the draws back to bare wood and used Bondall Monocel Stain and Varnish in the colour Cedar, and used the Paint Partner 38mm and 50mm brushes.

I diluted the first coat of stain and varnish with 10% mineral turpentine (as instructed), then did a second coat and lightly sanded the top of the draws before applying a third coat.

Hello @sophie_soz,

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're thrilled to see you here, and hope you'll find this community a great place for inspiring D.I.Y. ideas and valuable advice. 

Congratulations on your cabinet restoration, and thanks for providing those extra details about your process. I'm sure our members will find this information very useful. 

Keep up the great work, and looking forward to seeing your next project. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects