Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tasmanian Oak feature wall

AnitaP
Having an Impact

Tasmanian Oak feature wall

Tasmanian oak feature wall behind tv. This wall was very bare and thought it needed something. As I take this photo now, I question why the TV isn't in the centre and I began where I did (tv was already on the wall). My walls are Masonite and you can see the joins, so I remember now that I just began at that join not even thinking the TV isn't centred. Oh well. The TV is always angled anyway to where we sit.

This wall became quite expensive as I never intended to do the whole wall...but just kept going cos I didn't like it in a small section.

Note some pieces are bowed so not all gaps look the same.

- Also added the piece of wood in the empty space of the cabinet.

- Painted the brass handles black with spray paint.

- Painted the walnut coloured cabinet top with door trim white paint.

Materials

Tasmanian oak 40mm

Tools

Nail gun

Mitre saw

Steps

Step 1

Worked out how long I wanted the oak on the wall. I left a gap at the top and bottom. This allowed for me to put a piece on wood lengthways on the skirting that I could rest the oak on then will all begin from the same height.

Step 2

Cut all oak pieces to the same length, as they do come all slightly different. 

Step 3

Light sand. 2 coats of clear satin varnish.

Step 4

Nailed to wall using nail gun where there are studs. 

Step 5

Spaced by the thickness of the wood.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Feature wall

What a lovely addition to your living room @AnitaP. It certainly adds plenty of warmth and character to the space and you've done a splendid job. I particularly like the additional timber in the cabinet, as just that little touch helps tie everything together.

Many thanks for sharing, and well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects