Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The power of paint: wardrobe makeover

Melzie
Building a Reputation

The power of paint: wardrobe makeover

afterafter

This open wardrobe was ugly but functional. I originally didn't care about the different coloured drawers and shelving as it was all going to be covered by sliding doors. But the budget started running thin so I had to think of a more creative way to hide this ugly besides the $1500 wardrobe doors. So I decided to paint everything white so it all matched. I didn't like how you could see the clothes on the 2 side storage units so I made some doors out of MDF and hung them using the same hinges you would use on kitchen cupboards. Then to finish the space off I got some modern black handles, and used some of the leftover wallpaper from the feature wall in this room to create a nice feature in the middle. I glued gyprock to the bricks before installing the wallpaper so it has a nice flat/ even surface. This was defiantly a much cheaper option to having sliding doors and it became one of my favourite features of the room.

beforebefore

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: The power of paint: wardrobe makeover

What an ingenious way to use existing cabinetry in your project, @Melzie. I'm sure you saved a heap of money using what's on hand. You've achieved a lovely finish; it all looks so fresh and clean.

Did you do any special preparation on the cabinetry before painting?

Well done, and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Melzie
Building a Reputation

Re: The power of paint: wardrobe makeover

Thanks Mitchell. I gave it all a light sand, then gave it 2 undercoats with the dulux water based precision primer designed for smooth and glossy surfaces, then gave it 2 top coats with the same water based semi gloss enamel paint I used on the rest of the doors and trims throughout the house. And can report its very durable and hardwearing :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects