Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tiling onto gyprock

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Tiling onto gyprock

Hi all, I'm doing a feature wall in theatre for a customer including my bamboo panelling however she wants a panel which protrudes from the wall and is tiled. I'm installing a timber frame for the protruding section and plan to clad it with gyprock, then tile it.

I've done plenty of wall tiling before but only ever on plastered walls.

So I'm wondering...What additional prep is required for the plasterboard prior to tiling and which adhesive would be best to use?

Thanks very much!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
sagedragon
Finding My Feet

Re: Tiling onto gyprock

I would suggest not using Gyprock but paneling that you would normally put on a floor under tiles and then you will be able to use normal tiling adhesive.

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @sagedragon. I'm sure @ProjectPete appreciates the suggestion.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with the community so we are looking forward to reading more of your posts and seeing your projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

We are also always on hand if you need assistance with getting the most from the site, or have feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ProjectPete,

I will ask @MitchellMc to share his thoughts when he is back on the site tomorrow. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ProjectPete,

It's easier to tile onto an unplastered gyprock than plastered. I've double-checked with Dunlop and you can just tile straight on top of new Gyprock with wall tile adhesive and no prep. If you have any plastered joins or corners it's best to coat them first with a Dunlop 1L Multipurpose Water Based Primer. The primer is only for filled or plastered areas and doesn't need to be used on the paper surface of the gyprock.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Hi there @MitchellMc 

Can i tile directly onto gyprock with a mosaic style stone tile for behind a fireplace or does it need a 6mm villa board/cement sheet first? 

Ive found it qite hard to get a copy of the aus/nz wood burner standards.

Any help would be appreciated.

17057838795766454535369887241817.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BevanJ. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fireplaces.

Different models of fireplaces have different setback requirements. So, it would be best to contact the manufacturer of your fireplace and request the specifics for your unit, as the Australian/New Zealand standards (AS/NZS 2918:2018) need to be purchased. Typically, the supplier will put together a mini guide/summary of the code to make installation easy. It might have points like the hearth must be of non-combustible material and extend 30cm from the front door, or combustible wall linings within the set-back zone must have a non-combustible covering such as tiles. Those are just made up just to illustrate. If you call the company, which is what I normally do, they'll most likely be able to answer your question. Let me know if it's one of our heaters, and I'd be more than happy to do so for you.

I'd recommend you consult with a certified wood heater installer, the wood heater manufacturer and your local council to determine the installation requirements in your area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects