Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber for toddler cube chair?

clara
Finding My Feet

Timber for toddler cube chair?

Hi. What type of wood board should I use to build a toddler cube chair. 

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: toddler cube chair

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @clara. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about building a toddler cube chair.

Would you be able to show us an image of the style of cube chair you wanted to build? I presume it is the very basic Montessori styled chair, some of which feature a steam-bent backrest?

You could use plywood, or my preference would be a solid timber like a 300 x 18mm x 1.2m Pine Utility Panel. You shouldn't have too much trouble building the basic version of this chair. That steam-bent backrest which some of them feature is likely not going to be easy to achieve, though.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Timber for toddler cube chair?

Hi @clara,

Just wanted to extend my own warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust the response you received from Mitch was helpful. Please let us know if we can assist further. As Mitch said, an image or plan of the chair would be helpful. It would also be fantastic if you could share the end result of your build as I'm sure it would inspire the rest of the community.

Thanks again,

Jason

clara
Finding My Feet

Here’s me trying to share the photo. It’ll be similar to the bottom but.. I will be using panels without holes. Also wouldn’t be steam bending anything (lol) as it’s currently Jedi master level. Would be countersunk wood screws and wood fillers. 

Thanks for the advice! 😃 I’ll take a look at both wood panels. 

1B824ABB-163B-4AF5-9291-D1A2FB181F4F.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @clara

Thank you so much for posting that update. My top suggestion for your project is to use an Ozito 200W Detail Sander. This will greatly speed up the sanding process for the entire project. This tool will allow you to thoroughly sand not only the top of the panels, but the sides as well giving you a smooth splinter-free finish. Will you be rounding off the corners of the chair? A good way to do it is to place a can of beans or similar on the corner of the panel and trace the arc of the can. You can then use a Trojan 165mm Coping Saw to cut the arc line on the panel.

If you are feeling creative, one way to cut holes in your chair is to use a Craftright 16 Piece Holesaw Set. This sounds like a fantastic project to build. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the toddler cube chair assembled. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects