Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for doing VJ Panelling by yourself

Shelley55
Getting Established

Tips for doing VJ Panelling by yourself

Hi I am looking to use VJ panels on several walls in my house.  I am a single mum and have no one to help me so wondering if anyone has any tips on how to handle the vj boards by myself.

I also have to get them upstairs!

Thinking I will set up my saw etc in the room where I am installing them and use blocks at the bottom to push the vj against the cornice but any other tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tips for doing VJ Panelling by yourself

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Shelley55. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing VJ panelling.

Here's the installation guide for EasyCraft panels and also some helpful tips. I'd have to say that although this is a job that you could do yourself, it will be far easier if you have a friend to assist. I know that's not always possible, but it would be really helpful to have some assistance with moving the boards and hoisting them into position.

Applying glue to the back of the sheets is helpful, as once you place the sheets onto the wall, the glue will hold them until you can install your nails.

Let me mention several of our talented members that have successfully completed VJ panelling, @craftyhopper, @ProjectPete, @EleventhCoastal, @tamaraharringd and @TheRenoDad, as I'm sure they'll have plenty of advice for you and the project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell 

I am installing them onto double brick walls unfortunately so have to use screws and anchors which makes things harder.  

Will see if anyone has done this job myself :smile:

Shelley

You'll still be glueing the sheets on @Shelley55. Do you know you can get masonry screws that will drill straight in? No need to do plugs or anchors.

Mitchell

Mitchell

Could you point me to which screws those are?  They would be so handy!   Would I be able to screw through the vj into the double brick wall with them?

Thanks re the glue yep realise I need both!

Shelley

Hi @Shelley55,

The blue text in my posts are hyperlinks to products or web links. You'll find some others in my first post. Here's the link to the masonry screws again. I suspect you might need to pre-drill the VJ first so as not to damage it; it's worth a try on a scrap piece, though. Then go straight into the brick wall, though. No pre-drilling is required for the masonry.

Mitchell

Awesome, thanks so much Mitchell

Keep us updated @Shelley55, and please reach out again if you get stuck. I can't wait to see your results!

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell will do x

Okay starting on my VJ Project, ended up getting two guys from Air tasker to move the boards upstairs but (not sure if I can recommend an item not from Bunnings?) brought a plastic panel lifter which means I can lift and move the VJ boards by myself. Only cost $20 ... something I think Bunnings should stock!  Other tip is to grab a piece of 2.4m pine from Bunnings to use as a straight edge for your circular saw as it makes cutting the VJ board down so much easier for a beginner!   Okay will post photos once panels are up!  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects