Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled drawers for nursery

Cooney09
Cultivating a Following

Upcycled drawers for nursery

table.jpeg

4B8B2C58-0F6A-4905-A178-7D20EDFD6C73.jpeg

FDA68D27-E53A-45C6-9F9F-7C65FFE7AE79.jpeg

74C6B715-BEB7-4263-A335-84FF141873E0.jpeg

Hi guys,

I want to upcycle these two sets of drawers we just bought. We’ve a baby on the way so I’ve been set to task but need to help and advice.

I’ve never done a project like this before so am starting from scratch. There are a lot of stickers that need to be removed and the knobs are falling off so will need replacing or fixing. 

I’m looking to paint both of them the greenish colour in the Bunnings photo attached and think the Gold knobs look great as well.

Very much appreciate advice on where to start. I also don’t have anything so any links to Bunnings equipment, type of paint etc would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Shane 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to upcycle these drawers?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop, Shane (@Cooney09). It's wonderful you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about upcycling draws.

That looks like a fantastic project you are embarking on. I'd suggest the real winning product will be Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White. It has superior adhesion to glossy and tough to paint surfaces. Once it's applied, you'll know the topcoat has the best chance of bonding.

I'd suggest you start by removing the stickers with a scraper and De-Solv-it 125ml Sticky Spot and Stain Remover if necessary. Next, you can wipe all the surfaces down with Sugar Soap. Rinse this off with fresh water. You'll then be able to remove the knobs and give the units a quick rubdown with 120-grit sandpaper. If you don't wish to sand, you can do a test section to see how well the primer adheres without the sanding step. Once it's dry, try scratching it with your fingernail to see how easily it comes off. Once you're happy with the preparation, you can coat the units with a brush or roller. I'd suggest a good quality paintbrush or fine nap roller.

Once the primer is dry, you can apply your topcoat using the same 5mm roller or brush from the previous step. Obviously, give it a good wash out with water first. I'd suggest Dulux Aquanamel for the topcoat, and that green-toned colour would look fabulous, matched with gold knobs. 

Let me also mention some of our upcycling experts @craftyhopper@lifestylebymari and @lieselroberts to see if they have any other advice or ideas.    

I look forward to following your project and seeing the results. Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cooney09
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell, that's very helpful 

With the Dulux Aquanamel paint does it make a difference what type of gloss you buy?

Everything else makes sense and thanks for putting the links in there, it makes it much easier to pick the different products. 

Cheers, 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Cooney09,

It doesn't make too much of a difference whether you go for low gloss, semi gloss, or gloss. It's more to do with your personal preference. However, gloss will be easier to clean but show more fingerprints/marks/dust. I'd say it's more about the decision on whether you want it to look shiny or not. Typically, you'd paint in a gloss, though you might prefer a lesser sheen level. They're all enamel hard-wearing chip-resistant finishes.

Mitchell

Cooney09
Cultivating a Following

Awesome, thanks mate 

I'll start this over the weekend and will report back with how I go :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We'll be looking forward to it @Cooney09. We all love a good upcycling project around here! Some progress shots would really help our members who are considering a similar project.

Shout out if you get stuck. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Cooney09
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc

Finished off the drawers during the week. Very happy with how they came out, thanks again for the advice. 

Changed the colour and types of knob as it’s for a nursery. Overall a very enjoyable little project 😊

5929D2EE-B4D4-42EC-A85E-84BBDE5ADC50.jpeg

137998F2-72E4-43D6-8B16-5DBA28F51472.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I absolutely love it, @Cooney09! Spectacular job, and I'm a great fan of your colour choice. What was it?

Many thanks for sharing your completed work.

Mitchell

Cooney09
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc ,

I went with Dulux Classic Calm in the end. The sanding and primer was definitely needed for the colour to take.

Cheers, 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects