Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled side table - using chalk paint

chezzle
Growing in Experience

Upcycled side table - using chalk paint

Up cycled side tableUp cycled side table
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Upcycled side table - using chalk paint

Looks great @chezzle. Well done and many thanks for sharing.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We trust you'll receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have a project to share. 

You're also welcome to contact me any time you need assistance getting the most from the site or have feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MissionIsta
Getting Established

Wow that looks incredible @chezzle --what paints did you use? Love the blue tone. 

Bundaboy
Having an Impact

Love me some chalk paint!

Carrol
Getting Established

I want to use chalk paint on side tables as well but not sure about doing this myself. Was it easy and what did you use?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Carrol. We're so pleased you've joined us.

Let me tag @chezzle so they get a notification about your question. I'm sure @MitchellMc will have some advice for you to help you get started. If you could share a photo of your side tables, we may be able to give you more specific advice. There is a video that explains how to paint over over varnished timber here.

Here are some discussions that may also be helpful:

Feel free to pop in and ask any follow up questions you might have. We're here to help.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Carrol,

You'll want to make sure the surfaces are free from grease, dirt, and grime. Some Selleys Sugar Soap Wall Cleaning Wipes would be perfect for cleaning down the unit. You can then prime the surface with Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat. Once the primer has dried, you can apply the Dulux design chalk effect paint. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to paint using Dulux Design Chalk Effect.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need further advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Carrol
Getting Established

Many thanks Mitchell I will give this a go when it stops raining if ever here lol

Carrol
Getting Established

Thank you Janice Mitchel did reply and I willl take photos tomorrow and put here

Carrol

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects