Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Updating a pine dresser?

Julieg9426
Having an Impact

Updating a pine dresser?

Wondering if anyone has updated their old Pine Dressers with paint and/or wallpaper and how you went about it?  We’re building a new house and the pine won’t go with the new decor.  We’ll keep the lead lighting in the door though as we like it.  Have seen some photos on Pinterest but wondering if anyone in here has done one and if so, what you used?  This is what it looks like currently ...EC4BDD78-BEBA-4073-AA26-F94E42268145.pngDB29A4AA-0BC9-44B8-BE5F-19DFEE081EF0.png18F4D999-3102-444C-B45B-72C88CCA1A1D.png

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Updating a pine dresser?

What a great conversation starter @Julieg9426. Are you able to share the photos of the finish that you would like to achieve? That will help our community members to give you more specific advice to help you with this project.

Here are some chalked paint projects:

I'm not aware of any projects that use wallpaper, but @MitchellMc might be able to recall some.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful

Thanks Jane - I have some photos which I don’t especially like but it’s just to get the gist of the ideas & concepts out there ...3DB78612-582D-4FC8-90B1-AA6F3F094A95.jpeg7D4F412A-5A2A-479E-B769-298383313A3D.png7CD3EC74-C3DF-4B76-A8C6-50AB52A7BE9D.pngCB44D66A-E246-4EBE-BD37-BFD3EEC42AF7.png

Hi @Julieg9426,

You can start transforming your armoire by giving all the timber a light rubdown with 100grit sandpaper. Removing the handles and hardware before you start will make the job easier. You don't need to sand the stain off, just light scuffing of the surface will be sufficient. You can then apply Rust-Oleum Zinsser 3.78L Bulls Eye Primer Undercoat Sealer and Stain Blocker to all surfaces.

Once the unit is undercoated with the stain blocked, the aesthetical side is up to you. Chalked paints have been exceptionally popular with upcyclers over the past several years. I'm a great fan of these UNi-PRO 100 x 4mm Nap Little Ripper Microfibre Mini Rollers for applying the paint as they provide a very fine finish and are great at getting into tight areas.

I do like the idea of using wallpaper and we have a fantastic range to choose from. Personally, I'd choose an interesting but somewhat muted wallpaper similar to Superfresco Easy Soft Blue Wild Flower Wallpaper and paint the unit in a Rust-Oleum 887ml Chalked Ultra Matt Paint - Linen White.

I very much look forward to seeing what you can achieve with the unit and trust our members will be interested in following along with your progress, so make sure you take lots of pictures.

Please let me know if you have questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Julieg9426 

I love doing up old wooden cabinets. I like to use white semi gloss enamel. MitchellMc is right. Lots of prep work involved. PITA but it pays off in the end.

Here's some images of one of the TV cabinets I have done. I didn't keep a before photo, this one here is very similar but not as high. I also used contact (in the paint /craft section of Bunnings) for the inner back walls as I couldn't get the  wallpaper I wanted. Worked out cheaper too.

BeforeBeforeDuringDuring

AfterAfter

Also love the UNi-PRO 100 x 4mm Nap Little Ripper Microfibre Mini Rollers.  The foam rollers are good too. The 4mm nap ones give a finer finish though, especially with semi gloss enamel

rubytuesday1953

Fantastic work @rubytuesday1953! I love what you have been able to achieve with that unit.

Many thanks for sharing some wonderful inspiration.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Gorgeous work!!

Useful to know, & inspirational,  thanks. I have a similar dresser that is on my to-do list for an update. Hopefully I can get to it soon now with these tips for what products to use at hand. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects