Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upholstered headboard

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Upholstered headboard

As I have a new bed but have kept the old headboard for now, her indoors hits her head on it every time she sits up to use her no. 1 love (phone). While I would have liked a Tas Oak end grain pattern headboard, wadding is a safer option.

I am fine with the wadding, fabric (her colour choice), fabric button kit and I have an air stapler. I forgot the fabric protector in my order...

As it will also support the sides and mid bar (needed for Ikea slats) I was thinking plywood.

2400-x-1200-x-12mm-cd-non-structural-ecoply 

Is there a better option? The wood nerd in me would like to use Tas Oak but only the removalists will ever see it.

That is the look but in pearl with less buttonsThat is the look but in pearl with less buttons

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upholstered headboard

Hi @Brad,

I can't think of any other options apart from using MDF. However, I would recommend you go for something thicker than 12mm Ply. Perhaps ECOply 2400 x 1200 x 15mm CD Structural Plywood or even ECOply 2400 x 1200 x 19mm CD Structural Plywood would be more suitable if it is also supporting the sides and mid bar.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

19mm to be on the safe side :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing this project come together @Brad. I like the look of the inspo photo. 

Jason

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Now she wants the bed frame to be white, well everything to be white. Can you just move the bed to another wall and make the wardrobes where the bed was and they should be white too, round end where it is next to the door and the door  should be hinged on the other side.

It is either feng shui or she wants a tv on the mostly blank wall to play her Nintendo Switch, my guess is the latter.

After that kitchen is next in her sights.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

CBB3A2A8-195C-4211-8B4C-49A8DB8B4CBE.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's come up looking fantastic @Brad. Did you decide not to go with the buttons?

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

She likes plain best so no buttons.

Need to paint the walls white and make white side tables or cupboards.

Wardrobe with mirrors because what woman doesn't like to look at herself in the mirror ( her quote ) and a round end on it in white...

New TV stand/low boy in white...

New flooring may be Tas Oak or carpet tiles not in white!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects