Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What painting equipment do I need?

kalradeepak
Growing in Experience

What painting equipment do I need?

I would like to start painting walls but not sure what paint accessories should I be looking? Any advise would be appreciated

Also I have very dark brown wall and I like to paint to light grey so do I need to take any additional steps before I paint? 

One more thing looking to fill broken gyprock and very fine cracks in the wall before I paid so what should I buy?

Thanks in advance 

paint3.jpgpaint2.jpgpaint1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting

Hi @kalradeepak,

For the dark brown wall, you'll likely need a grey tinted undercoat. If you let our helpful team in-store know the colour you want to paint over, they'll provide a suitably tinted undercoat. The very fine cracks should only take a fine sanding to smooth out, and the under-coat should take care of them.

You should find these step-by-step guides useful: 

Please let me know if you have further questions after viewing the guides, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What painting equipment do I need?

I've taken another look at your question and realised you would like some specifics on what equipment is needed @kalradeepak.

Most painting jobs around the home will require the following:

• Drop sheet - I tend to purchase the disposable kind as they are budget-friendly and great for single walls. If you're planning on painting a whole house, you might like to consider something more substantial, like the canvas type.

• Paint roller and tray - Rollers are great for covering large areas of wall quickly. I advise going for a roller at least 270mm wide for walls. A paint roller extension pole comes in handy getting to those hard to reach places.

For further expert advice have a look at @Peggers article on how to paint like a professional. You'll find some excellent tips and tricks in there which I trust you'll find of great assistance.

Mitchell

May I add that using the cheap drop sheets is fine, but I would recommend putting an old sheet or similar under the plastic drop sheet because if you get even a tiny hole in it, any paint that gets through will then get spread around the floor being sandwiched between floor and plastic sheeting. An old sheet will soak up small leaks and also stop the plastic sheet sliding around. (If you don't have one, try your local op shop. They usually have some awful curtains or sheets that no one would want to use as such.)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great tip, @TedBear! I've actually done that before and couldn't figure out where the paint was coming from.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects