Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What primer and paint options for melamine?

ppp
Having an Impact

What primer and paint options for melamine?

Using melamine for bedroom shelves.. To achieve smooth finish, what are my prime and paint options ?

Dulux renovation range primer seems

to be pricey compared to normal primers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What primer and paint options for melamine?

Hello @ppp

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of options when it comes to painting melamine surfaces. The top three choices are Dulux 1L Renovation Range PrimerWhite Knight 1L Renew Tile And Laminate Primer Paint, and Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White. The first two are dedicated melamine primers the third product is more of a high-strength all-purpose primer. It's best to wash and clean the surface with Selleys 1L Wall Surface Cleaner Super Concentrate Sugar Soap before applying the primer.

Normal primers will not work on melamine surfaces because of their smooth surface. You'll notice that even the dedicated primers will ask you to rough up or scour the surface of the melamine before application. Your other option is to choose a different shelf material such as pine or MDF. This will allow you to use regular primer and paint. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ppp
Having an Impact

Thanks for those suggestions EricL.

Can you help me to identify what materials ( MDF or Melamine and possibly which paint) my builder would have used to build this shelf ?

It is very smooth and my aim to build same type of shelves including smoothness and color.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-17 at 4.17.44 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-17 at 4.21.18 PM.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ppp

If you're looking for a similar material, I suggest using Melamine Panel. It comes in various sizes and lengths. I suggest bringing a list to the store so that you can calculate how much you need to make your shelves. Please remember that Melamine panels do not have a standard white colour. Their white finish is subject to the manufacturer's specifications. I also recommend using 21mm x 10m Melamine Edging White to cover the exposed edge of the Melamine Panel. The same rules apply when using MDF Panels. It also comes in different thicknesses so please choose carefully.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects