Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do about powerpoints on skirting?

sarahlo
Getting Established

What to do about powerpoints on skirting?

B2D34C97-5ABC-4EC4-92C3-088CF00A168F.jpeg

Hi all! I have just moved into a place with these annoying skirting GPOs.  None of my power boards will plug in due to the proximity to the floor.  Any ideas? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do about powerpoints on skirting?

Fair enough, @sarahlo. I just thought if the rear-exiting lead worked, it could be plugged into whatever you wanted. You could use some cable management to keep the excess lead length in check. Swivel plug to power board would've worked well if it fitted. However, I looked at the swivel plugs, and they don't appear to be any smaller than a rear-entry plug. There is the Arlec 5 Outlet Surge Protected Power Board With USB Charger And Wide Spaced Outlets with a rear-entry plug that you could consider if you run out of options.

At the best of times, it can be difficult to plug electronics with power packs into these low-lying powerpoints. When the newer flooring was installed, they increased the floor height without considering the existing skirting-mounted powerpoints and rendered them basically inoperable, so options for using them are very limited. 

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @sarahlo 

"but as you are incorrect"

That's OK - story of my life.

Any chance of chiseling a small amount, of whatever that floor is, away from under the earth pin?

Scan1156.jpg

I did purchase (when?) a Arlec power-board from Bunnings - Model PB405L Series 2 that has four points with individual switches. The cord comes straight out from the plug and the distance between the bottom of the earth pin to the outer diameter is around 5 or 6 mm. Possibilities?

20221023_075743.jpg

sarahlo
Getting Established

as mentioned this isn’t my house I can’t just chisel the floor.  Thanks for your help and suggestions. 

I’ll check my local Bunnings tomorrow and if no joy will go to a place like Rexel.  Just need one that is small and has the cord to the side and not underneath, or a swivel.  I’m sure I’ll find something! 

Thanks heaps! 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @sarahlo,

Those particular socket-outlets aren't even meant to be installed there.

They are a work-top type socket for above benches.

The current wiring regulations (AS/NZS 3000) prohibit socket outlets within 300 mm of a floor surface and of course, as anyone can see,

there is no way in hell you can plug anything into them.

My guess is, the floor has been resurfaced and lo and behold, they had to cut the floor in around the sockets.

This is really poor and I would be talking to the last building owner, as these sockets are not electrically compliant the way they are installed

and any outlets like this need to be relocated to at least 300mm above the finished floor level.

I say that as a registered electrician with 30 years experience.

If you require any further advice, I'm more than happy to give you any advice you need.

Cheers,

Mike T.

sarahlo
Getting Established

Hi MikeTNZ,

Sorry there seems to be some confusion thanks to the change of heading of my post.  I am all sorted from my end thank-you, this is not my house.  My only option then is to run extension lead across the lounge which is what I’m currently doing.  I appreciate your input but it’s a lose situation for me.  Hopefully my own house will be finished soon! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sarahlo

It's good to hear that you've managed to find a solution for your extension lead. If you're worried about tripping on it, I suggest getting an even longer lead and running it along the skirting board next to the side of the house. At least it won't be in the middle of the lounge where you might accidentally trip on it at night.

The best part is that when it comes time to move, you can bring all those extension cords with you.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sarahlo,

Great to hear that you now have everything you need. 

Just wanted to explain why the moderation team sometimes change the title on posts on Workshop. It's so that common search terms are used and other members and visitors to the site can also benefit from all the replies and advice shared. Other people might face a similar situation to yours and advice like @MikeTNZ has shared would be really valuable to them. 

Many thanks for your understanding,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects